Chapter Twenty-Six: The Reunion

The loud pops of fireworks made Kaity jump slightly as she sat on the couch. She was a lot calmer now and she had some time to try and get her mind together. Underneath her eyes were wet from the tears and the blood underneath her nose was gone. "He said he was building something..." Kaity mumbles, this was the first time she has spoken a full sentence since her encounter with flayed Billy in the void. "That it was all for me."  She licks her chapped lips and looks down at her hands that were in her lap. "Building something...is he talking about the Flayed?" Max asks, looking up at El who sat on the coffee table across from them. "He must be." Nancy says, running a hand through her hair. "So he's building an army, just like we thought." Lucius says as he paces behind the couch.

"Yeah, but he's not building this army to spread." Mike says. "He's building it to stop Kaity and I'm sure Eleven." Kaity nods. "That's what he said." She bites her lip. "Last year, El and Kaity closed the gate on him. I have a feeling that really pissed him off."

"Like, royally." Lucas adds as he crosses his arms and stops pacing. They were all on the right track. "And the Mind Flayer now knows that they are the only thing that can stop him, but if they're out of the way-"

"Game over."  Lucas nods. "He..." Kaity starts, think about everything he told her. "He said that he was going to kill all of you..." That made everyone in the room tense up. "Yeah, well, that's nice." Max says sarcastically, looking out at the wall. A dream Kaity once had comes into her mind. The one where she was reading a book and Billy appeared in her room and he had black veins all over him. She was taken into the void and the things that he said then...matched up to what he said now. "I had a dream, long before any of this. It was on valentines. I saw Billy with the black veins and I was in the void and he was talking about he was going to kill me and everyone that I loved." Kaity shook her head, looking at Eleven. "I don't know how I could know that back then."

"Are you some kind of psychic?" Lucas asks. "Or can you see the future?" Will asks and Kaity shrugs. "Do you see things like that El, like things that haven't happen but are going to happen?" Nancy asks and Eleven shakes her head. "They happen in my dreams." Kaity explains to them. "Maybe it's some form of your powers?" Max asks and Kaity shrugs. "Maybe..." She nods, biting her lip. Nancy suddenly moves forward towards a window and stares at it. "Do you guys hear that?" She asks with a slight shake to her voice and everyone goes silent and listens. "It's just the fireworks." Johnathan says softly "Billy." Nancy turns around quickly, her eyes on Kaity. "When he told you this, it was here, in this room?" Nancy asked, an urgency in her voice and Kaity slowly nodded. There was a thunderous noise and the hairs on Kaity's arm stands on end and Will moves his hand to the back of his neck. Both of their eyes widen.

"He knows we're here." Will mumbles and Johnathan quickly jumps up and everyone follows him outside of the cabin. They move towards the car, onto the dirt road to look past the trees. Up in the dark sky beautifully colored fireworks light up the darkness and Kaity feels a pain in her chest. She and Billy were supposed to be at their secret spot watching the fire works together. Over the hill, a creature crawling on its legs knocks down a couple of trees. Kaity recognizes it from one of the memories that she saw in the void. It was him. It was the Mind Flayer and he was big, he was pissed, and he was coming straight for them. His screech echos across the forest and Kaity can feel the anxiety in her chest build and mingle with fear. "Get in the cabin..." Kaity mumbles, her eyes not straying off of the large creature. "Get in the cabin!" She shouts and the kids quickly scurry off into he cabin. "In the shed their should be a shot gun, go get it." She tells Nancy and Johnathan already moves towards a stump and yanks an axe out of the wood.