*9*

“Mrs Shlok...” Shlok walked inside the mansion with a bright smile. His one hand was occupied by the charming bouquet and other with a small carry bag which had the logo of ice cream brand. He expected his wife to run to him and greet him with a warm hug but it did not happen. “Dhwani” he looked skeptical when he got no response again.

He walked further to reach his room and peeked inside only to find Dhwani sitting on the bed with her head buried in her knees. His shoulders dropped at the sight of it as worry crept inside him. He placed the flowers and the bag aside and sat in front of her.

“Dhwani” he placed his hand over her shoulder. She lifted her tear smeared face to look at her worried husband whose heart started to gallop now. “Dhwani...” his voice filled with concern and confusion made her drop more tears as she hugged him in a bone crushing hug. “What happened?” he rubbed her back trying to calm her but she kept sobbing in his hold.

“Will you tell me? You are scaring me now” he brought her to face him while she kept rubbing her cheeks. “And why are wearing all this?” he now observed her attire. She was wearing a heavy Anarkali and ornaments. Her hair was falling off her plaited hairstyle. Her cheeks had traces of compact and blush and the bays of the eye smudged with the kajal.

“Dhwani” he called her again when she gave no response. “I...I... had told you na Mumma's friends will come to see me” she started to speak finally. “Yeah” he nodded his head. “I wore the Anarkali which Mamu gifted me...” she hiccuped. “I thought Mumma will be happy” she pouted.

He needed not one more second to understand that his wife was crying as something had happened during the time his mother's friends had come. He got up furiously and walked towards his mother's room tugging Dhwani along. “Sok” she called but he did not stop. He had enough of this drama and he was in no mood to forgive anyone who made his wife cry.

“Mom...” he knocked on the door. “Come in Shlok” his father spoke and Shlok walked inside the room and Dhwani was behind him. “What's this mom?” he brought Dhwani front and made her stand facing his mother. His mother who was confused till now got worried seeing Dhwani's tears smeared face.

“Dhwani...” she cupped her daughter in law's face. “Beta what happened? Why are you crying?” she neared Dhwani who cried still more. “Shlok... Did you tell her anything? Did she got hurt?” she asked looking at her son clueless. Dhwani hugged her mother in law this time.

“I am sorry Mumma. I am a bad bad girl. I tried to be good to your friends. But what to do how much ever I try I can't be like others. I am sorry” she said sobbing.

“Dhwani... no beta.. what are you talking?” she brought her daughter in law to face her. “Your friends were making fun that you have such a bad fate that you have me as a daughter in law. I am not like others na. I am mentally not good” she said hiccuping.

She wiped Dhwani's cheeks. “You are not like others yes” she smiled. “Because you are most special” she caressed her hair. “I am very lucky to have a daughter in law like you. No you are not my daughter in law. You are my daughter” she bent Dhwani's head and placed a caring kiss on her forehead.

Shlok looked at his mother shocked. “Why are you staring me like this?” she turned to her son. “I know Shlok initially I really behaved bad with her. I needed time to know her” she turned to Dhwani.

“I was actually worried last night about how to introduce Dhwani as my daughter in law to my friends. And your father asked me just one question if Anika was in her place would I behave or feel same? And I realized what he wanted me to know. And suddenly I remembered what dreams I had about my daughter in law. I had always wished that one day you will get married and I will treat my daughter in law like my daughter. I will take care of her like how I took care of Ani. And then I realized I was not fulfilling the promise I made to myself. So I decided to accept Dhwani the way she is. Special. Am I not the luckiest person who got a unique daughter in law?” she caressed Dhwani's cheek. “But mumma your friends” Dhwani sobbed.