Chapter Two

Walking into work, I see scattered papers, boxes of makeup on the floor, and the cash register empty. I'm curious as to what's going on, and when I see a man in a black hood, I know that this is a robbery. I know I can't go into full panic mode, so while I'm scared on the inside, on the outside I'm fine. I look to his left hand and see he has a gun. He stops to look up at me, and I see him getting ready to aim the gun at me. I stick out my hand and say, "I get it. You need money, you need to have the things in this store. Take what you want, but please, don't take my life. It's not worth the jail time. I promise, if I walk out of here free, no one will hear about this." A lie, I have to tell. I hear the cops sirens approaching and become frantic. For I'm scared that if this robber hears that the cops are coming, he'll shoot me. I give him power and freedom by putting my hands up. If I am to firm with my sternness, he'll shoot. If I don't move and simply show him I'm harmless to his plan, he won't see me as a threat. "Just run while you can." I say, knowing by the sound that he won't make it past the officers if he runs out. He stupidly takes what he stole, and runs past me. I stay in the store and when I hear a shot go off, I know he's been killed and I'm safe. You see, this isn't my first time handling something like this. Once as a child, I was coming home from school and walked into an almost empty home with one man standing with a knife. He approached me, and I got away. In bad situations, I usually know how to emotionally compose myself, and that's exactly what I did. But it's when I see the Tall brown haired police officer walk into the store, that I feel really safe. He runs over and asks if I'm okay. I respond with a simple "yes." "Are you positive? You don't have to be okay, you almost got killed." "But I didn't." I respond, coldly. Truthfully, I don't know how to react. I did realize I could've lost my life. "Would you mind writing a statement? What's your name?" He asks, with a smile. "Rebecca. I'm Rebecca Donelli." "Not on these terms, but nice to meet you, I'm Officer James Herilson." I shake his hand, and we step outside. After having many questions asked by Detective Rostro, I am finally able to relax. When I gather my things to leave the scene, James comes over. He shoots me a smirk, and I can't help but blush. "I don't know if this isn't proper considering the time frame but, a drink with you right now sounds great." I blurt out. It's true, having a drink with a hot cop right now sounds lovely. "I'm still on duty, but how about that drink tomorrow? Here's my number." He says, giving me a card. "See you then." I say, walking away. With his dangerously seductive eyes, and his slicked back hair, I knew even though he was a cop, he would be trouble. But to me, trouble only meant a good night in the bathroom of a bar. To him, it meant so much more. For the rest of the day, it's an unpleasant feeling knowing I don't have a steady source of income. I had to make over ten phone calls to see when the store would be back up and running, just to find out that it's upping security, so there is no time frame. If I don't get a proper job, I could be homeless within the next few weeks. Waking up the next morning, I give James a call. I've always adored the calling instead of texting tradition. "Officer James here. What is this regarding?" I'm a little taken back by his strong tone on the phone. "This is Rebecca. We met yesterday. About that drink, is tonight at eight good?" I ask, bravely. I can hear his laugh through the phone as he says, "A woman of her word, I like you already. 8:00 at John's Bar sounds great." "Good. I'll see you then!" I hang up, enthusiastically. I trusted him from the beginning, simply because he was known as a "man of the law." But it's easy to trust something we've been blindsided to believing, rather than to question one's intentions. Questioning one's intentions can lead you down a route you don't want to go on, yet I wish I had done it. When 8:00pm rolls around, I'm in a dress and heels with little makeup, and straightened hair. When I walk into John's it's odd seeing him out of his uniform, but he looks even better in the leather jacket he's wearing. When he sees me walk in he gets up and greets me with a hug. A hug I've needed all day. "Can I have a sex on the beach please?" I ask the bartender. James gives me a look and I know what he's thinking. "I like the drink." I laugh. "You work at that little store there?" He asks. "Oh you mean the one that got robbed? Yes. That was my old job." "I'm sorry about that. It was the man's tenth robbery in a year. He's gotten away with a lot, but right now he's rotting in prison." I'm relieved to know he isn't dead just locked away because in a way I'm thankful he didn't kill me. "Let's not talk about work. What are your hobbies? Why did you say yes to this date?" I blurt out. I've never been great on first dates. "Hobbies? I don't have much. I like to read, but boring things. And I said yes to this date because you're a beautiful woman, and don't think I didn't notice you yesterday." What? He noticed me? "I wasn't aware you saw me there." I smile. "At least I got this date out of everything. What boring things do you read?" I ask, genuinely interested. "To Kill A Mockingbird is my favorite book. I could read it endlessly." "No way!" I burst out, in irony. "What?" He looks confused. "That's my favorite book!" "Glad to know we have something in common. There's your sex on the beach." I nod, picking up the drink. "Mhm, This is good." I moan, to myself. "Do you want to get out of here?" He asks, bluntly. "No. I don't do that on first dates." He looks puzzled, "No I meant, come back to my place just for fun. There's so much tension in public." "You know what, sure." Finishing my drink, we leave. You can't blame me, I was young and infatuated. But the upcoming events would lead to shock and fear I couldn't have possibly expected from a police officer, let alone a normal man. But is anyone really, "normal"?