Chapter Six

From there, we make it known to the public that there is a serial kidnapper on the loose, who's dangerous. But making it known to everyone in Florida who's name begins with a H, that they might be the next person to be kidnapped, is difficult. For a week, no new information. It's a relieving thing to know that no one new has gone missing or has been killed. My personal relationships had also been developing. James and I had been getting closer, more intimate, and just overall getting to know one another. It's nice to have someone by my side through the stress of knowing that there's a terrifying human being out there. He's relaxing to be around, and especially in the bedroom. I had disregarded the night he acted weird, and put out of my head the no results that came up when I searched his name up on the Internet. He had opened up to me about his family & how he left home at an early age to move to Florida. He was beat by his mother, so if he happened to change his name in the process of running away, I didn't blame him. For a week things are steady with the case, as everyone working on it is just trying to figure out who the person behind it is.
Then, on February 1st, we get an anonymous tip. A phone call from an untraceable number, leading us to believe that the kidnapper has relocated with his victims. The man is no longer in Florida. While everyone seems to feel relieved, I become more worried. Now, everyone is in danger. No one knows where he went and at least we knew he was in some part of Florida. Now, no one is alert that they are in danger. It's not until the end of the day that we find out where he is. Getting a phone call from The Atlanta,Georgia police force, we know there is something wrong. Pete picks up the phone and puts it on speaker. Listening in I hear Dennis Harvey, chief of police in Atlanta, speaking. "Detective Peter Vendelson speaking, how can I be of service today Chief?" He asks, politely. "A woman and a few men have gone missing in my town. I looked into where this could've come from, so out of the ordinarily. Quite a lot of people went missing back over there and I just got word from someone that this could possibly be connected." Pete takes a breath before responding. "Twenty One women went missing sir. Twenty one missing women, one girl dead, and a woman, well murderer, connected to the kidnappings has been murdered by the leader of all of this. With all due respect, how do we know that this is connected? How did you come to that conclusion?" "I got an anonymous tip." Dennis says. Peter's facial expression changes. "We received the same anonymous tip, saying that the kidnapper moved locations. Was it untraceable for you as well?" "Yes. No one wants to be known in all of this." "Can I give you a call back after speaking to my co-worker?" Pete asks. "Yes, no problem." With that, they hang up. I go over and hug Peter. He looks like he needs one right now. "Thank you." "For what?" I ask. "Accepting this job months ago. And working so hard for such little pay. You deserve a raise. You're officially hired with a raise." "It only took this long." I laugh. Somehow in this madness, we still are able to celebrate little things. "Why did you end the phone call?" I ask. "I'm sending you to Georgia." He says. "Excuse me?" I reply, stunned. "There's a lot going on here, but being that he's in Georgia there will be a lot more going on there with the case. I know no one there will work as hard as you will. I give you a week. A week to get everything together. If more people go missing, and it's confirmed he's there, you go." His logic makes sense, but to pack up and leave to go to Georgia would take a lot right now. "What about my apartment? What about the cost of everything? Where will I stay?" "Haven't fully thought that out yet. You know what, I'll be right back." He says, with an idea in his head. As he walks out of the room, I can't help but think of James. How will he feel that I'm leaving? Yet, we're not even in a relationship, so I don't care. A few minutes later I hear a "That's perfect. Thank you." From Pete, as he steps back into the room. Confused, I ask why he stepped out. "I'm going to go with you. Be ready in four days to leave. You have to pay for your own plane ticket, but I'll pay for the hotel." "What about my apartment?" I say, worried. "You have to figure that out" He responds. "Alright." I don't know what exactly I'll do. I will keep the apartment here, but I hate not knowing when I'll be coming back. I see James on my way out and tell him that in few days I'll be going to Georgia with Peter. He says "Okay. See you when you get back" And dismisses me. While I thought we were developing something good, he's been cold towards me and consumed by his job. Although, It's okay because right now I'm focused on my job too. Especially since I'm going to be getting paid better. Within four days, I pack six bags full of everything I would need for months. It was hard to know what I should pack since I don't know how long I'll be there, so I put my life into those bags. Pete picks me up and when we reach the airport it's 9am. We have a 3pm flight, so we have some time to get everything prepared, yet the long lines manage to take up a lot of time. We get on the plane after hours, and I take the window seat. I've always loved watching the sky. It's blue color mixed with clouds has always been calming in a way I can't describe. Pete looks nervous, and orders a cup of scotch. He's panicked, I could tell by his wide-eyed expression as the plane takes off. Putting my hand on his and intertwining, his face relaxes. "Are you okay?" I ask. "I've never enjoyed planes." He says. "Just breathe." I say, keeping my hand locked around his. The difference in our hand size is comical, mine are so small and his are so big and manly. I don't mind it. He's an amazing co-worker. Even though the circumstances of meeting him were poor, I enjoy his company. My holding his hand is more friendly than romantic. After all, I still have James in the back of my head. To distract Pete from his anxiety, I decide to ask him questions about himself. Before I could ask the first question though, he puts his hand on my cheek. "Your eyes are beautiful." He says, complementing me. "Thank you." I respond, looking away. When he removes his hand, I take a breath. James is hot and sexy, but Peter is so much more charming with his green eyes, sharp jawline, and perfect lips. I remind myself to stay professional and that we're only here for business.
But the relationship I would form with Peter would lead to another breakthrough in the case that I couldn't have expected. One that would prove ground breaking things, and show what the kidnapper actually wanted. Me.