Chapter Thirty Five

Two Days Before The Trial.
He's gone. Peter was kidnapped right in front of my eyes and I couldn't do anything to save him. Derek's out of my life for good, since he hasn't reached out at  all, and I've managed to have my best friend be taken away in plain sight. There's two days until the trial begins. Two days I'm trying to cherish by figuring out every detail I can. Oh, I forgot to mention that on a good note, we found Daniel. His stupidity amazed me this time, while he was found in the woods. We needed Peter to testify and stand up against every horrible thing Daniel has done, but Daniel and his minions took him before that became possible. Although right now, we can't focus on saving Peter though. We have to much going on with the information we have to gather for the trial. We don't have any idea what's going to happen with this trial. It can last over a month.
Day 1: 9am
I put on the most professional outfit I have, gather my documentation, and head out. Derek's coming back to Australia today, since he was part of Daniel's torture. I'm nervous to see him since the fight, but I'm more nervous to see Daniel's face. I know I will break him though. I know that if anyone could get through to the deepest and most evil side of him, it's me. Although the station has our lawyers, I'm representing myself. In college, I studied law for a few months. I know of all the right things to say. Standing up in court, I'm the most powerful one in this courtroom. Peter was the lead detective on this case way before I came into the picture, but he's not here right now. Peter's main boss from Georgia flew out and is here beside me, along with Jayden. I'm ready to take this on. "This case is not one which is difficult to make a decision about Mr.Wilson. He has terrorized all of Florida, he's destroyed Georgia, and he has now turned everything into darkness here in Australia. I would like to say that there is hope for everyone, but there is none for him. But the missing puzzle piece is the question of who are the people in his cult. Rebecca Donelli, you may speak on your behalf and your behalf only." The judge says. "Thank you your honor. I joined this case two years ago. While Daniel posed as James, I was confused. I had no idea that he was the one behind all of it. He manipulated me, as we developed a romantic relationship. But when I found his behavior suspicious, I started investigating him further. We couldn't find his identity anywhere, until Derek, a friend of mine, recognized his picture. That is how we managed to find him and put him away. But his cult members destroyed the station in the process, and Daniel murdered over fifty people. He murdered my father, my mother, my co-worker and tons of innocent people right in front of me. Including my best friend being pinned against the outside of the station." "Rebecca, I'm sorry for your loss." "Thank you." "You may sit down now. Derek Jones, speak." "I was seeing Rebecca struggle with the case and decided to help her. When she showed me the photo of the so called 'James' I recognized him right away. He was popular in Australia when I was young, and I had heard of his tragic and destructive ways. From there, we got led up to here, together." He says, looking at me. The judge looks at the lawyer and says, "Peter Vendelson, former lead detective on this case, he's missing?" "Yes sir. He went missing about four days ago. They broke into his home, while Rebecca was accompanying him, and kidnapped him." "Interesting. We will now bring Daniel out, along with his lawyers and if anyone attempts to go after him, they will be held in contempt. Does everyone understand?" The judge says. "Yes." We say, as a team. Daniel is brought out, smiling. "Hello." He says. He's just feet away from me and it's spine chilling. They sit him down, and the girls on his side pass his lawyer notes. They're practically begging for his attention, and are also clearly insane. They don't realize there suicide mission though, they think he's attractive. This reminds me of what happened when Ted Buddy was on trial. The girls, found him handsome, therefore being a greater victim of his manipulation. It's sickening, the thought that these girls see a man who has slaughtered hundreds, as a good suitor for a boyfriend. When court is over, Jayden predicts that this case will be faster than most since we have such a fair and clear judge. I hope he is right. When I get home, it's time to begin the official search for Peter. I have no idea where Daniel's cult members would bring him. Wait. There was a layer of ground beneath me when I got kidnapped the first time. A possible underground area for victims. But I don't fully know how to get there on my own. You know what, yes, yes I can. It's Peter we're talking about. Over the past few days, before he was kidnapped, our friendship grew. He's become my best friend. He's supported me through just about everything. I can't just let him rot in a bunch of murderers hands. I don't need anyone to help me. I need to find him on my own. When I do find him, I begin to wonder why it was so easy. This was part of Daniel's plan: it had to be. He knew I'd find him. But why? Why make it so easy?
Daniel had so much more in store for us than we could have ever predicted.
When I do find Peter, he's emotional. He's been harmed for days. But it's what Peter says when he gets in my car that stuns me. "They're coming for Derek Rebecca. We have to get Derek, they're planning his murder."