Chapter Twenty Five

I run over to Derek and gently hug him. He has more energy then he should, because he wraps his lips onto mine. "God I missed you." He says. "Please don't ever get shot again." I say, feeling the tears pour down my cheeks. "I won't." He smiles. Pete walks in and I can't seem to get myself to walk over to him. I just want to continue being next to Derek. "Go hug him." Derek insists, respecting our friendship. I hug Peter and he comforts me. When I release from his embrace, he makes an announcement. "There's something neither of you know about." He says. "What is it?" Derek, Chief and I all ask. "Well this is going to be a lot." He says. "Spit it out Peter." I say. "First off, Chief, your wife was pregnant. And, um, I don't know how to put this." "Say it before I punch you." Chief demands. "Your son wasn't your biological son." "I know that, he was from her previous marriage." Grayson responds. "No actually, with the blood test we just took, your wife's son is Daniel Wilson's son." What. The. Fuck. "What did you just say? Is this some sick joke?!" Chief screams, walking over to Peter. "No sir. It's the truth." Chief Grayson gets a hold of Pete's shirt and twists it up in a knot, ready to hit him. I put my two fingers in my mouth and whistle, "Oh! You two are men, not boys. There's a man out of surgery in a hospital bed and you're both fighting like children. Don't embarrass yourselves. Peter explain to him how you found this out. Chief, I understand you're mourning, but be quiet for a minute." I say, maturely. Grayson let's go of Peter and he takes a breath. "We were doing an autopsy, and I suggested testing the blood. Jacob isn't her ex-husband's son. He's Daniel's." He explains. Grayson puts his hands on his neck and screams. "How the fuck?! So Daniel, a serial killer, is the father to the boy I raised?! How is this possible? This makes no fucking sense!" "Let's all take a breath. It's clear you're confused, and I would be too, but we have to think about what really went on here. Your wife, Iris, couldn't have possibly known about Daniel. She was probably having an affair outside of her prior marriage. This truly has nothing to do with you. Just because he was his son, doesn't mean he was sick and twisted like him. But this does mean that Daniel came back to Australia, as an adult, for a short amount of time." I say. "What was the name of her ex husband?" I ask. "Robert Joels." Chief responds. "We'll look into him." I say. "Grayson, stay here with Derek while I talk to Peter outside." "Yes Ma'am."
We close the door and quietly speak outside of the room. "I know Chief will look out for himself, but I don't want him back at the station. I want him to be able to mourn in peace. This shooting wasn't targeted towards him, Daniel is just getting even with people from his past. Hence Jacob being his son. But, I need you to gather Jayden, and every other detective in this city to make sure another shooting doesn't take place. I also want bodyguards around this hotel, because if something happens to Derek I will not hesitate to hurt someone. I want you to be safe through all of this to. I have my gun, do you have yours?" I say. "Yes, I'm secure. I'll have bodyguards all over this hotel." "Good. Now, go." He kisses me on the cheek and leaves.
Derek's Point Of View:
"She cares about you a lot." Chief says. "I know. I care about her more than she knows." "You know, my Iris was golden. She could smile and light up an entire room with the glow that radiated from within her." He says. When I see Rebecca walk in and smile, she lights up my entire world.
Rebecca's Point Of View:
When I walk in, I smile at the sight of Grayson and Derek getting along. "Can we have some alone time?" I ask Chief. "Of course." While he begins to walk out I say, "Go home. Go home and get some rest." "I will. Thank you for everything." He says. I nod. Derek tries to move, but he's in to much pain. "You just had heart surgery. Stop moving." "Okay. Kiss me before you go." He says. "I'm not going anywhere." I say, honestly. "They need you at the station though." "But you need me more. I'll deal with the psycho later." I say. Seconds after that statement, I get a text from an unknown number that reads, "Psycho? What psycho?" I stumble over the text. He heard what I said. How did he hear what I said? Where is he? "What's wrong?" Derek asks. "Shh." I take my gun out and search the room. Nothing. I look for cameras, but again, nothing. He's fast, secretive and manipulative. He thinks he's powerful, but he's really not. He's weak and insane. I see a man running outside and realize this is his little game. That man just happened to be running, that isn't him. It would be to easy for it to be him. "You're not going to set me up like this Daniel. Where are you really?" I send. "Error." Comes back. I don't have to tell Daniel that I'll make sure Derek is protected, but trust me, he will be protected. I'm no longer on a mission to lock Daniel up. I'm on a mission to get revenge, no matter what it takes. "What happened?" Derek asks when he sees I'm panicked. "Daniel texted me this." I show. "He's just trying to get into your head Rebecca, but you can't let him." Derek says. Pete calls me and informs me that bodyguards are surrounding the perimeter outside and inside. "I know. We're safe in here. I know we are." I say. "I'm sorry I couldn't prevent you getting kidnapped. I tried, but by the time you were gone it was to late." "You still saved me Derek." I put my lips on his and he cups my face. I put my leg gently on the bed, across his, and I feel something hit my body. "Let's not get to excited." I say, pulling away. "No. We could still kiss." He insists. "True." I say, getting on the bed and hovering over his body. His hands travel down to my ass and he squeezes. I moan under his touch, and we get carried away. The nurse walks in and I jump off the bed. Looking at Derek's boner, I try to cover it with the blanket, but that's not helping. "You'll be clear to go in seven days Mr.Jones. And for now, please keep your heart rate low." She looks to me and walks out." When she closes the door behind her, Derek and I start hysterical laughing. "I'll make it up to you. I promise." I say.

That day was the last day before the true chaos hit.