Chapter Fifteen

"Mother?" I say, confused. "Oh, you're awake." She smiles, warmly yet coldly. "Why are you here?" I ask. "Don't be so upset to see your mother honey, how do you feel?" "Not great since I was just in a car accident." I respond aggressively. When Peter walks in, I'm relieved. My mother and I's relationship has never been how I wanted it to be. She's tried to mold my life into what she wanted it to be, and when it didn't turn out that way, she became upset. I've always been closer to my dad, but now that he's gone, a part of me wants to gain the relationship with my mother that I never had. "Mother, this is Peter. My friend." I introduce them. I'm firm when I say the word friend, but Is he just a friend? I love Pete, but I haven't fallen in love with him. Love is not something I'm focused on right now. I ask my mother to leave the room, so him and I could have a moment to ourselves. I ask Peter the first thing that comes to mind, "Was I hit by a car intentionally?" His answer surprises me, "No. The driver spoke to the police, she wasn't drunk, it was simply a poor driving accident. She's going to pay for this hospital bill and the repair to the damages of the car. "Oh. I'm glad she's helping me out with the costs." "I guess this was just the worlds way of telling you to slow down." He says. "I don't need to slow down. Once I solve this case, then I'll slow down." He laughs. "What's so funny?" I ask. "You've gotten kidnapped, been in a car accident, and have been in way to many terrifying positions to say that you don't need to slow down." My ribs are killing me, and my ankle is sore. "Did they say what I broke?" I ask. "Yes. You tore your ankle and cracked a piece of your rib." I shake my head. This isn't what I needed. The doctor comes in, and she goes on to say how I 'shouldn't be stressed out for the next few weeks' and I need to 'slow down'. I'm so sick of people saying that. "Your mother will be taking care of you." The doctor orders. "Why couldn't Pete do it?" I ask. "Because as much as I'd love to, I have to work." He smiles. "Fine, but as soon as recovery is over, I'm going on a vacation." "Fair enough." My mother responds.
One Month Later...
Recovery is over. Finally. Living with my mother has been torture. I get a phone call from Peter, as I'm on my way back to the station. "I have some news." He says on the phone. "Good or bad?" I ask. "Both." He says. Oh no. When I make my way to the station, there's all of my co-workers waiting for me. I greet James, Peter, Detective Ramos, and all the other bright minded people that fill the room. "Okay, we have a surprise." I hate surprises. "What is it?" I ask. Peter takes out an envelope. Two tickets to Hawaii. "What is this?" I ask, shocked. "We knew you needed time off, since we've seen all your hard work. So, we bought you these as a thank you." "You're welcome?" I laugh. "You've been the hardest working person here, you deserve it." Ramos says. I smile. I'm genuinely glad I can get a break. "Now who are you going to bring?" Officer Ashely asks, looking to Peter. As much as I adore Pete, I need a break from the people here too. I know just who I could bring. "I know exactly who. Thank you all for these, I'll be on my way out." I say, walking out. I know that my exit was swift, but happy memories are rushing to me. Those filled with Derek. Derek, my first love. He never knew how I fully felt about him, but we met in my first and only year of college. He is the best person I know. He's tall with Light brown hair, perfect lips, and green addictive eyes. He has the biggest heart, but also the biggest- let's just say, he doesn't have room in his boxers for more. He's driven a Harley ever since I've known him, and those motorcycle rides were the best. So, I give him a call, not expecting him to answer. I haven't spoken to him in three years. But my abrupt chaotic mess of life, has given me a new perspective on things. He'd be good to have around. After six rings, he finally answers. "Hello?" I hear his voice, deeper and sexier than ever before. "Hi, this is Rebecca. I don't know if you remember me, we used to hang out in college. We lived right across the street from each other. "Ah Rebecca! Of course I remember you. How have you been?" He asks. Another insanely attractive thing about him, his thick Australian accent. "I've been good. I'm a detective now. And what about you?" "That's so great to hear, Don't think I forgot about all those times you made me sit and watch crime shows. I'm a pilot now." "That's so cool! I've missed you over the years Derek. It's been to long." "Yes, it has." I can hear his smile through the phone. I will never forget the night we almost slept together. Derek had taken me and given me a sensation I don't think I could describe fittingly. In that one year, he satisfied not only my body, but also my mind. "Would you want to meet at a bar sometime soon?" I ask, boldly. "Would tonight be good for you? Lisa's at 7?" He asks. "That sounds lovely." "I'll see you there." He says, hanging up.
Walking in, I don't spot him. When he stands up and walks over, I'm intrigued. He's gotten taller, and somehow better looking. His hair is grown out and he looks as if he could pick me up without a problem. Oh, he definitely could. "Rebecca?" He asks. "Hi babe." I say, wrapping my arms around his tall, lean body. "It's been to long beautiful. Way to long." He says, squeezing me. "Yes, it has."

Looking back, that's one thing I don't regret through it all. Calling Derek Jones' was something that I didn't know would save me, but did.