Chapter Thirty Six

"What did you hear in there?!" "They want to kill every single person close to you. Including me, but they wanted information from me first. I didn't say anything though, and the more I kept quiet, the more they cut me." He says. "Cut you?" I ask. He rolls up his sleeves on his arms and legs and there's blood, so much of it. "We have to get you to a hospital." I insist. "No we don't. We have to get Derek." "Okay, but those cuts are deep. Let me do this." I take off my jacket and use it as a tourniquet to stop the bleeding. "How do you feel? Do you think you're going to pass out?" I ask. "No. I'll be okay." "Derek should be at his hotel room." I make my way there. When we get to his room, he's not there. Instead, there lies a note on his bed. "Find him, you'll get a reward." "What the fuck does this mean?" "Rebecca, go to your hotel room. Rebecca, now!" Pete screams and we run to my room. Derek. Dead. Derek, he's dead. He's on the floor, with a gun shot in his heart and knife cuts on his face. "Derek! No. No No No." I scream, running over to his body. "Please. Please." I check his pulse, nothing. He's gone. "Peter! Call for an ambulance, NOW!" I scream. "He's not breathing. He's dead, he's gone!" I cry. I can't breathe. Physically, I can't breathe. I didn't tell him I loved him. I didn't say goodbye, we ended our relationship in a fight. Now he's gone. The love of my life, the man who saved me, dead. "I love you. I love you so much, I'm so sorry." I cry, kissing him. I put my head on his chest and struggle to catch my breath. "I'm so sorry I did this to you. You didn't deserve any of this Derek. I'm so sorry, it's all my fault. I wish you never met me, you would be alive right now. You didn't even get to live." I cry. Peter pulls me off of him, and they take him out in a stretcher. I follow them to the hospital in my car, but I know they won't be able to save him. God knows how long he had been lying there, dead. They pronounce him dead and my heart is shattered. The only man I've ever truly loved is gone. The only person I had left in this world who I could fully trust. The person who supported me through some of the toughest times in my life. He's gone, forever. No more waking up to his smile. No more kissing his soft lips. No more hearing his voice greet me. No more him. I walk out of the hospital and Peter comes up to me, hugging me. "I can't do this. I can't do this." I say, getting in my car. I drive to a motel out of town and stay there. I have court in an hour that I have to go to, unfortunately. I'll never get away from this. I'll never escape Daniel's grip on my life and the people I love.
A few hours later, court:
I have no energy to do this. But I have to, for Derek. "There has been a murder here today. Daniel will be held responsible for Derek Jones's murder as well as the others Rebecca, I want you to be assured of that." The judge says. "Thank you sir. But there's a main problem besides Daniel, we have to find the cult members." I argue. "Yes, and everyone here and in Georgia is doing all they could, including you." I nod. Just as Jayden predicted, the trial would be over within a few days.
Hours later...
I don't regret being in a hotel out of town, but the drive is exhausting. Somehow, I feel like it's safer though. I have to come home alone every day. My home's location isn't truly anywhere specific, it's wherever the chaos is. I didn't want this for Derek. Derek never deserved anything that happened to him, I dragged him into this. I won't drag anyone else in, which is why if I have to be alone for the rest of my life, I will be. Truly, I have no problem being alone. Peter got kidnapped, Derek got murdered, I don't know what else could happen. Then, I get a call from Peter's boss. He's become the one always relaying the bad news. "We have a problem. Jayden's missing, and I'm pretty sure he was kidnapped. If they took Peter, and killed Derek, they're planning on killing him too. But there's a catch." "What's the catch?" I ask. "He's wired. We can hear every single thing that happens to him." "That's good, but that gives us more of a motive to not find him." "You're right. If anything gets to crazy, we can track him. But, we need to be listening. We need this Rebecca." "I know we do. But I wouldn't wish being stuck in there on anyone. Let's not drag this out please, Jayden's a good friend." "We won't. But get back here, so we can listen to what's happening." Driving back, I'm anxious. I don't know who's voice we're going to hear. Or if they're intelligent enough to realize that he's wired, and they hurt him even more. Getting to the station, I put on earphones. "You think Rebecca won't be dead in the next couple of days? You're fucking crazy!" I hear someone scream, and Jayden moan in pain. He sounds like he's being burned. "I'll kill you slowly and painfully, I'll make sure Rebecca feels the pain of losing you just like the others, and then I'll kill her fast." Someone says, hitting Jayden. "What is this? A wire? What are they listening?" A man says. "They caught us." I say to boss. I hear them rip the wire off of him and before they destroy it they say, "It's not what you think Rebecca."