Chapter Thirty Eight

"Dinner. On me!" I say, offering to Peter, Jayden, Boss, & The judge (Michael)." "Actually, I can't. I have to get home. I kind of just want to go to sleep." Jayden says. Peter and everyone else agrees. We all just need rest.
But rest wasn't in store for any of us. I shouldn't have assumed that we would be able to sit back and relax. It'll never be that way.
After going to sleep, I have a terrible nightmare.
"Jayden!" He's gone. He's drowning, right in front of me. No wait, I'm drowning. I can't breathe.
I wake up and am sweating. I call Jayden and ask if he's okay, he says he's fine.
I go back to sleep and hear the sound of ringing. Waking up, I realize it's my phone. I answer an unknown caller, and hear an unfamiliar voice. "Come get your precious little Jayden. Or else there will be much more hell to pay, I promise Rebecca."
I was right. Jayden is gone. I call Pete, but he doesn't answer either. I call the boss, and he picks up, "What's going on?" I ask. "Peter and Jayden are missing, but I have no idea what's going on. There's something different about this time. I feel it." "What could be so different?" "I think they're planning on keeping them in there cult. They're not going to kill them, they're going to take them very far away." "Any idea where they'll be going?" I ask. "No. Well, maybe back to Georgia. Back to where it all started. They're trying to make a statement. But first, before they move, they're coming after you. Everything they do is going to affect you. They're trying to ruin you." "They've already done that. I'm not scared." I say. "You should be."
I didn't know what he was trying to hint. I didn't know where he was. I didn't know who was force feeding him words.
"I can't do this. I can't look for them. Daniel just got arrested. I want a moment to celebrate. I know Jayden and Peter are important, but I trust they'll make it through. I need to get away, even if it's just for a day." "Where will you go?" Boss asks. "Back to Connecticut. It's become my safe space." I say. So, I tried. I tried to go. But there was a death that delayed that action. "Alfred Vendelson, killed." Vendelson? That's Pete's last name. Peter mentioned having a brother once before, but never spoke much about him. Oh my god, Alfred was killed. I call boss, but he doesn't answer. No one is answering there phone. There's something wrong here. Getting access to Alfred Vendelson's autopsy, I see something odd. He looks a little bit like Peter and you could definitely tell they're brothers, but he's the man who robbed me. He's the man who lead me to meet James. I'm sure it was innocent, he's probably just a poor man who needed to take some money. "How did he die?" I ask the Pathologist. "A bullet hole, straight to the head." "Any DNA?" I ask. "None. No track of anyone's doing left behind." She informs me. "Was this a murder or a suicide?" I ask. "A murder. Definitely a murder. I'm pretty sure it has to do with Daniel Wilson and his cult members." "I don't know. There's someone new in town, I just don't know who." I say.
Jayden's Point Of View:
I wake up, and see Peter, tied up and unconscious. I don't know how to help him. There is no way to get us out of this mess.
Rebecca's Point Of View:
Who could have done this? Who would want Alfred dead? Peter's been kidnapped, so he's not an option. Daniel's cult members seem focused on something else. So who would want him dead? Who's the only person we're not looking into? Boss. He doesn't give out his full name, he just introduces himself as boss. There's something going on. I call him and ask him to meet me at the station. Once he does, I'm infuriated.

I'll give you a heads up, it wasn't him. He wasn't part of it. I was blinded by a stupid assumption. I wish I had figured it out sooner.

"Tell me how you did it." I say. "What? What are you talking about?" He responds. "How did you kill Alfred?" "What are you talking about?" He says. "Alfred Vendelson. Peter's brother. There is no other person who could've done it." I see a different side of him come out when he says, "I stabbed him, right in the heart." I remember the autopsy report, he wasn't stabbed, he was shot. Which proves my original theory, "Boss" actually has a boss, someone he's covering up for. I kick him in the balls and pin him against the wall, "That's not how he died. He was shot. Now tell me, who the fuck are you working for? Or rather, who are you covering up for?" I scream. When he doesn't answer, I take out my gun. "Either you're going to tell me who you're working for, or I'm going to shoot you dead. Your choice." "I'll never tell you, so you might as well kill me." I put my hand on the trigger and am about to shoot, when I see life in his eyes. I'm not a murderer. I can't become one of them, I'm better than that. So, I tie him up. "Listen, I liked you. But this little routine of following some serial killers orders, it's not gonna work. So you'll sit here, until I get back." "Back from where?" He shouts, as I leave. I close the door and say to myself, "I'm going to find your trainee."
Jayden's Point Of View:
I can't breathe. A man, who looks like Peter, but doesn't look like Peter. Wait, I can't see, I- someone drugged me, I can't-
Rebecca's Point Of View:
Who could possibly want Alfred Vendelson, Peter's brother, dead? Who is behind everything?