Chapter Thirteen

Twenty one people have gone missing & James is also missing. Is he one of them? Or has he fled on his own terms? Those are the thoughts burning through my head as soon as Peter hangs up the phone. Peter makes a bold assumption when he hangs up as he says to me, "What if James is part of the cult?" Yes,James is a bit off, but I know him. He isn't capable of something so harsh, and he certainly wasn't in the room I was in. So I scream at Pete, "Sure James is unlikeable to you, and hasn't fully been understood, but he isn't part of a cult who burns peoples faces off! You've barely gotten to know him and you're saying he's part of a cult who blended my father's body? Who the fuck are you to say such a thing?" "You don't know him either! What makes you think you understand him?" He fires back. The truth is, I do understand him. I understand what it's like to not have an adjusted family. I know how it feels to be misunderstood and that's why even if there was something up, I wouldn't notice. James has been odd on some occasions, but he's been a friend. I don't want to question his intention or harsh capabilities. So, I don't. I defend him to my fullest ability, and move on. Leaving Peter's house, I feel overwhelmed. I'm happy I got to spend the night with him, but it all ended poorly. Although, what I now know is that James is missing and I have to find out what happened to him. I go to the station. But what I see is unexpected. James, sitting at the table holding a beer. "Hey babe!" He shouts, obviously drunk, when he sees me. "How the fuck are you here?" I strongly ask. My cursing has been a form of expression, and quite honestly, it's been relieving. "I'm gone for a few days and everyone thinks I've been killed? Please, it's bullshit." I've never noticed his accent until now. Alcohol does bring the truth out, that has become clear. I begin an investigation. I am a bit suspicious of his peculiar behavior right now. I sit down next to him and take a sip of his beer, manipulating his mind into thinking I'll be part of this- whatever 'this' is. "You have such a strong accent when you're drunk." I laugh, taking another hit off of his beverage. "Didn't know I lived in England for a bit?" He asks. "You've never told me that." I state. "Really? Well, yes I did. Cheers mate." He says, holding up his glass and throwing it to the floor. I jump at the alarming sound of the glass hitting the floor and shattering. "I didn't mean to startle you." He says, with a yearning look in his eyes. "Well you did. I'll be on my way out now." I say, rushing to the door. "Hey, Rebecca." He calls out for me. "Yes?" I turn around quickly. "Have a good night." He smiles. "I will." I nod, leaving. Getting into my car, I call Peter. "You may have been right. Meet me at the office in ten." I say, hanging up. Driving to the office, I'm a little shaken up. Seeing James like that, portraying another persona with his English accent and the smell of liquor on his lips, was alarming. The office is a mile away from the station, and has way more technological equipment. It's a detectives wonderland. When I get there, I see Peter's car. He's leaning against his car, with his hands tucked into his leather jacket pockets. Damn, he's hot. But I'm getting off track. I walk over and point to the office. We walk in, and it's empty. Which is perfect. We go into the main room and see all of the computers, tracking devices, and everything you could ever imagine. "What do you want to do first?" He asks "Check his background." I respond. "You know nothing will be found Rebecca. "Who says I was going to use the Internet?" I stubbornly ask. "Smart Woman. Now really, where do we begin?" "With where James was born. When he was hired they had to have gotten information to see his health status, both physically and mentally. There can't be nothing connected to him, you and I both know that everyone has information that traces back to either good or bad." We searched. We searched every document. Every article. Every piece of paperwork. We even went to the Internet once more. Nothing. That was the most insane thing of it all, everything tracks back to everyone except for James Herilson. Yet, that's not humanly possible. Information had to be removed. "It's all gone. His information has disappeared. He had to have removed everything from all database's and from every physical copy of entail on who he is." I confirm with Peter. "That explains why he could have been at the station." How could I have been so stupid? "Why was he at the station? Oh my god I'm so stupid. Are there cameras at the station?" "Of course there are." Peter responds. Taking one car back to the station together, I tell Pete exactly what I'm thinking. "Listen, I don't think he's part of the cult. There were things I saw in there in such a short amount of time, that I don't ever want to talk about. Things no man like James is capable of. I do however think that there is something James wants to be kept a secret from everyone. Something big and something that could destroy him, and that's why he's working so hard to keep it hidden. But he's not part of that cult, it wouldn't make any sense for him to be." "We have to find out what that secret is Rebecca. If it's as powerful as you think, he could be dangerous." Peter says. "That's what scares me." I think, out loud. "Don't be scared. I know we fought before, but I'll always protect you. I promise I'll always keep you safe."
But James's past and his following actions would not make it able to be protected from. He was something I shouldn't have looked into. Something I shouldn't have questioned. Because sick and sinister twist and turns of damaging events would follow behind every footstep he left.