Chapter 20 - Loss

A/N: Double update - make sure you read chapter 19 first 👍💖

Amari POV

"Stay quiet my little wolf, don't make a sound Amari, mommy will be back to get you."

I sobbed, reaching out my hand for the battered, bruised she-wolf, not wanting her to leave me alone - not wanting her to go out there and face the horrors happening in the living room of the pack house

I was terrified, my body shaking, tears streaking my cheeks, my bottom lip unable to stop trembling. I was scared I'd never see her again, that we'd both die and I wouldn't be able to find her in the afterlife

"D-don't go mommy, stay w-with Mari, please," I whimpered, grabbing a hold of her fingers with little hands no where near the size of her own.

A tear slipped from my mother's brown eyes, over her ebony skin to drip off her chin. I watched it fall with a broken heart. Mommy never cried - that's how I knew that this was bad, that she was in trouble. It made me cling to her tighter.

"Shh baby, mommy has to go. You'll be fine. You'll be okay. If..." she swallowed hard. "If mommy doesn't come back. I want you to run as fast as you can. Can you promise me that?"

"I'll c-come and help you mommy. Mari will save you," I denied, trying to call my wolf to the surface. If I shifted, then maybe I could defend us.

"No," Mommy looked panicked at my words. "Promise me you won't.  Promise you'll stay hidden. Remember what we said about your wolf Amari? Your wolf is special and delicate, an omega. You can't protect mommy baby. Mommy has to protect you."

I sobbed. I couldn't call my wolf even if I tried. Raven was curled up in a shivering ball right at the back of my mind, refusing to even help us. I hated him for it.

Mommy looked behind her, her disheveled afro bouncing around her ears as she did so. "I have to go Amari," she turned back frantically before leaning forward and kissing my cheek. She kissed me roughly, her chapped lips scratching at my skin as she pressed kiss after kiss on my cheeks, as though she didn't want to let go...

But she did.

Mommy pushed me back into the floor, covering me up with floor boards and dumping the carpet right back over the top. I was enveloped in darkness, panting hard as I panicked inside the tiny space. But I knew I couldn't make a sound. I couldn't move, I couldn't do anything.

Daddy was drunk. He was with Uncle Kaleb when they started yelling mommy's name. It wasn't like the numerous other times they'd hurt her. This felt different. Mommy was urgent. She hid me and she's never done that before. The foreign actions made me feel sick and terrified.

The noise coming in from the other room made me shake. I could hear them shouting, all three of them. Mommy sounded mad, but uncle Kaleb and daddy sounded livid. There were other people, voices I'd never heard before.