Chapter 36

Luka's POV

Amari squeaked in horror, hiding his face against my neck when the door to the bedroom opened again. My mate tightened the koala like grip he had on my torso and I could hear his heart beat erratically in his chest.

I rubbed his back soothingly before he gave himself a heart attack and met the guilty blue eyes of my father who was the first to step out of the room - thankfully fully dressed.

He cleared his throat and rubbed the back of his pink neck with a big hand before opening his mouth, no doubt to apologise. I cut him off before he could. There was no point apologising now that they'd been caught. I had a feeling that this was going to happen again anyway.

However I was admittedly stumped and I didn't know what to think.

"This is... odd." Izaak agreed, also confused.

"We wanted to talk to you," I muttered calmly, bouncing Amari like he was a baby so that he'd calm down and stop scratching my skin with his nails. His face burned against my neck and I was sure he was blushing because he embarrassed.

"Luka-"

"Save it for when we've all just got over the shock please. We'll be in the common room at the end of the corridor. Get ready and meet us there with Joana. Don't be long." I walked away from him, listening to his soft sigh call out behind me.

This was just... unexpected.

I didn't normally care what my dad was doing or who he was sleeping with. It had been so long since mom passed that I expected him to move on. I was happy that he could move on because no one should feel lonely after surviving the death of their mate.

But Amari's mom? The woman was still fucking mated to his father. This just felt so messed up.

I silently slipped into the common room, closing the door behind me. The room was simple and moderately sized, held a few sofas and a tv, as well as a box of toys for the pups.

I sat in an armchair, holding Amari over my lap. He finally looked up, biting on his sore bottom lip with wide eyes. "I-I'm so sorry!" was the first thing he blurted.

I frowned in confusion. Why was he apologising to me? "You haven't-"

"Yes I have! First I came along and you had to share your dad and now Yeri's claimed him as her own and now my mom is trying to take him even though he belonged to your mom. My family is just taking over and I feel awful! I'm really sorry Luka!"

I opened my my mouth to object and then slowly closed it. He was right. But it hadn't bothered me like he thought. I wasn't jealous at all. I was possessive when it came to a lot of things. Like Amari and food and my personal space.

But I wasn't possessive over my father. We were close of course - although we'd drifted apart these past few weeks with everything going on. But it had never crossed my mind to even feel jealous when my dad turned up with Amari in his arms.

I guess it was because I was quite strong willed and independent as a child. I relied on my dad when I decided I needed him - not all the time - so it never bothered me that he was looking after Amari while I was doing my own thing.

Plus, I was used to sharing him. My dad was like that one older guy everyone kinda looked up to in a sense that he was always willing to help with things. Need a shelf putting up? Ask alpha Nick. Need someone to push you on the swings? Ask uncle Nick.

He was always being whisked away by other people. Of course that meant that we didn't spend that much time together but that was okay because like I said, he was there when I needed him.