Chapter 31

Amari POV

I sat quietly in the warm water, making no attempt to play with the upside down duck drifting slowly through the water. There were bubbles all over the place, Nick had made them in an attempt to get me to lighten up, but as cool as bubbles were, I didn't want to play.

The alpha knelt on the outside of the bath tub. He ran his hands over my body, lathering soap over my skin. His face was concentrated as he did so.

"What did you do today pup?" He asked softly, making me stand in the water so he could clean my legs.

"I went outside," I whispered, staring down at his golden brown head of hair.

"Did you have fun, I heard the other pups wanted to play with you. Was Luka being nice?" He asked and I held onto his huge shoulders, lifting my feet for him.

"Luka plays with the older kids," I admitted truthfully. "And I didn't want to play with the other pups."

"Ah," he sighed gently. "It wouldn't hurt to make some friends Amari. You never know, it might make you feel better."

I sat in the water, shrugging my shoulders and glaring at the water. "I won't ever feel better Nick. Not until my mommy comes and gets me."

"Your mommy can't come back baby. You know that," he cupped my face, stroking my cheeks. His blue eyes were sad. It made my own eyes well up with tears.

"Why?"

He didn't answer, only hugged me closely, despite being fully clothed. I buried my face against his neck. He wasnt mommy, but I was happy he was here. He was nice to me. He wasn't mean like daddy and uncle Kaleb.

"Daddy?!"

"Daddy!!!!"

"DADDY!!!!!!"

"What Luka?!" Nick called loudly, hushing me when I flinched. There was a thump outside the bathroom door. Luka was obviously outside, making noise like he always did.

"I'm going to the movies with Ray!"

"The fu- fudge cake you are!" Nick stood up, taking me with him. He set me on the bath mat and wrapped me in a towel. "It's bed time Luka!"

"No it's not! I'm eleven daddy! I don't have to go to bed yet!" Luka cried from outside.

Nick scooped me up and I buried my face against his neck as he carried me from the bathroom. He swung the door open, revealing Luka who was fully dressed, a backpack slung over his shoulder.

"Who are you yelling at young man? It's time for bed. Tell Ray I'll take you pups to the movies tomorrow," he grabbed the back of Luka's jacket when the boy attempted to make a run for it and lifted him, carrying the both of us to our rooms.

Luka was glaring, kicking his legs stubbornly and I rolled my eyes. You shouldn't be mean to your parents. Mommy always said that no meant no for a reason. It was dark outside. Nick probably didn't want him to get kidnapped. I was eight and I knew that. He was eleven and stupid.