Chapter XXIX

I have to admit I couldn't look at the screen when France was singing the anthem. I excused myself and went to the bathroom, of course James and Daniela didn't believe I really 'needed' to go but they said nothing to me about it, they understood.

I sat on my bed, criss crossed and ate my nails as the match started. Salome was sleeping so both James and Daniela were completely focused on the match without a distraction, but every now and then either one of them would glance at the baby that was sleeping peacefully in her crib, just to check if she was still sleeping and okay.

Everything was alright until the thirteenth minute. Germany made a free kick and Mats Hummels jumped and scored using his head. He ran around and celebrated while everyone else joined and hugged him. France was losing for the first time in this World cup.

I felt my heart skipping a bit every time I saw Antoine on the screen. He looked worried and anxious just like every other French player, they were losing and that meant being disqualified, they had to do something.

The first half ended and right then there was a knock on the door, it was room service. The man left our food on the desk, taking a glance at the TV, they were just showing the goal again and the best parts of the match so far.

"Germany is winning?" The man asked in Spanish.

"Si, 1-0." James replied.

The man nodded at him, not showing any emotion, bad or good about that information. James paid him for our food and the man left just after he politely excused himself. I didn't order anything fancy, actually it was something I hadn't eaten in years. A hamburger but with mashed potato and some vegetables instead of the fries, I ate healthy all the time so I didn't want to upset my stomach with oil and all that.

The second half started but so far nothing was happening besides some substitutions being made and some faults being committed. I felt sorrow as I saw my friends and boy - ex-boyfriend trying desperately to get the goal they need to keep alive for now, a tie was better than a defeat. They would probably score a second goal after that.

Time kept ticking and nothing had happened to favour France. They tried and tried but they couldn't score a single goal and Germany won. The Germans jumped and hugged each other, smiling huge smiles, of course they were happy. Then the cameras were on the French players, some were crunched down, looking at the ground, some were shaking hands with the German players, most had tears in their eyes but the worst out of them all, was Antoine.

Tears kept falling down his cheeks and his eyes were so bloodshot and puffy, one of his teammates tried to comfort him and then two more joined him but Antoine was inconsolable. His teammates kept hugging him and he kept wiping his tears but new tears wetted his face, it was devastating to see him like that. All I wanted was to be right there and be the one to hug him, to comfort him, but instead I was just watching him through a screen, being helpless.

I hadn't realized but my eyes had watered and some tears were rolling down my face. I didn't realize until Daniela had sat down next to me, making my bed shift at her weight. She put an arm around me and rubbed my shoulder to comfort me. Antoine was the one needed to be comforted not me, though.

The match was over and now France was out.

I pretended I was okay with it. I mean, I'm not French, I don't even have a French boyfriend anymore. Why would I care?

'Because you love Antoine.'

I groaned and fell back into the bed, just as Daniela stood up, going for the remote to turn the TV off. There was nothing else to watch. It was over.