Nine

Petunia had woken and found herself alone in her queen sized bed. She yawned and opened her eyes, her body feeling disgusting with sweat matting her hair and clothes to her body yet despite it all, she felt wonderful.

There was a knock at the door and she answered it to find her parents watching her closely with worry in their eyes and she smiled. "Why the grim look?" She asked them and they did not say anything to her as they watched her. "Are you sensing what I am?" Her mother asked her father and he nodded. "It can't be." He trailed off and Petunia raised a brow at the awkwardness that her parents were causing.

"What is wrong when I feel so right?" She asked them sitting up in her bed and giving her parents a wary look. It was true when not that long ago she felt like complete utter shit and now, now it was like she was born anew. "We need to talk to you honey." Her mother said as she smoothed our her hair and she wasn't sure exactly what to expect.

Petunia skipped her shower altogether, not wanting to wait to hear news that didn't seem to work in her favor. Especially with the grim look on her mother's all too pretty face and her fathers worse than usual worried gaze. "We haven't been all too forthcoming with you." Judie said and she felt all too many different scenarios come to mind as her mom paused and glanced at her father. "Just tell me dammit." She snapped and her mother breathed in.

"We're witches. And your father a Warlock." Judie said and Petunia looked at her mom wondering if it was a joke. "We are beings that come from something called The Source. It is an endless power that we are born from and many of us wield magic and powers." She said and Petunia didn't find any of it funny. Instead she stared at her mother with a dead look.

"Why didn't you tell me earlier?" She asked and felt something inside her stir. Something she couldn't explain trickled her skin and she felt almost static run throughout her body like a wave. It was almost like a shockwave hit her. "We didn't think that you'd have any magic in you." Her father stated simply and she shook her head at him. "But you can?" She asked incredulously, not sure if her parents were just punking her. "So you decided to keep it all secret from me?" Petunia asked. "I mean it's not like it's something you can hide from me. It's almost like my birthright." She stated.

Her mother frowned at her and said, "We didn't want to involve you into that world. It's dangerous and-" she started to stutter and Petunia shook her head and her hands as she said, "Why now?" She asked. "Why not years ago or when I hit my teens. Why now?"

"It's possible that shifter may have triggered your power maturity." Adam said, putting his hand over the other looking at his daughter.

"Shifter?" Petunia asked.

***
Uriah had gotten away as fast as he could and he found himself running wild as he felt power surge through him like never before. He felt free and oh so light. Instinctively he did what he had always wanted to do and ran, letting whatever barrier that was holding him back shatter as he felt his skin tear. It was painful but oh so good. Everything changed, smells, sight, sound. He could hear for miles and he loved it. This was what it meant to be a full shifter and he fucking enjoyed it.

It was tough from going from a bipedal mammal to a four legged creature and back. He had learned the hard way that every time he shifted, he had to procure a new set of clothes by the time he made it back home.

He was greeted by his clansmen and they all patted him but gave him a questioning look as they obviously looked for his mate. None of them dare asked only the person who knew him the most, his mother.

"Don't give me that look." He told her as she watched him curiously. "And what look is that?" She asked him, her tone unchanging so it didn't betray her real emotions that she seemed to be hiding from him. "The look of either a judging mother or a judging oracle." He told her and she blinked at him, no emotion showing on her face. "You left her." She stated and Uriah knew not to rise up to the bait.

He continued what he was doing, feeling his knuckles stretched and moved under the skin as he felt the need to get free. He was surprised he was still in his human form and not changed and staying that way but he needed to master coming and going as to not put himself in danger. "As much as you try to run from your fate, everything always falls into place no matter what decision you make. There is a reason you are mates." She said as she gave him a knowing look and as much as she loved his mother, the unemotional part of her made him feel a distance from her.

"Eventually I will go back to her, but right now. Right now is not a good time." He stated as his thoughts rushed back to the guilt of leaving Petunia behind and basically using her just to be able to shift. He was just afraid he would do something wrong and hurt her in a way that could not be undone. He didn't want to be like the lifeless mates who have lost their partners and they were like empty shells. As far as he knew, she was human and she would be better off marrying another human and forgot about him as he was a few weeks of fleeing memories.

"Only time will tell son. And that time may be soon." She told him and walked away as he watched her figure move behind the brush. What the hell is that supposed to mean? He asked himself.