Twenty Eight

There was a knock on the door and Petunia's eyes fluttered opened as she was disoriented. For a second she didn't know where she was and she felt so groggy from her nap that she realized she was alone. The knock continued again and she got up looking for her clothing as she had the person wait a second.

As soon as she was dragging her pants on, the door burst open and an all too familiar face entered the room. "I heard it is a boy!" She said as Petunia slipped her pants right over her behind. She would had said something about people bursting  in but it was Makita.

The woman had her braided hair in a thick bun on top of her head and she didn't remember her having the long sharp talon looking nails that were a pretty pink when she last saw her almost two days ago. Petunia smiled at the other woman and nodded her head. "Have you both thought of names yet?" She asked her taking a seat on a chair, crossing her fishnet covered legs over the other.

"Lion boy didn't give you guys too much crap did he? I know how he gets and he's always looking for excuses to cuss me out." Makita said with a mischievous grin on her face and Petunia wondered if she was being sarcastic or if there was an underlying implication that she wasn't catching on to. "He was annoyed but he let us stay." Petunia answered and Makita nodded her head. "Good. So, I heard you brought a guest with you." She stated rather than asked.

"That piece of shit is lucky I'm not in there with him or they would have to drag me off the fucker's dead corpse." Makita said, her face and tone losing all semblance of the normal catty woman that Petunia had become familiar with. Everyone seem to want to get at Samuel and though she had heard of the horrors that he was subjecting other Source members too, other than the attack, she didn't know to what extent he had hurt others. The pain that was written so clearly on Makita's face spoke volumes when all that Petunia had ever seen was a mischievous glint in her eyes.

There were so many members affected by the actions of one man and from what she heard, Samuel was a highly wanted man.

The door was open and Makita had never closed it when she entered but there seem to be a commotion outside and Cass entered the room looking at the two. "What happened?" Makita asked with her nonchalant attitude when Cass looked over at them and then over her shoulder. "The Warlock is dead." She said and Makita got up from her chair. "What?"

They exited the room following Cass as she led them to the makeshift cell and there was a small gathering of people trying to see what had happened. Makita and Petunia had pushed their way through to find a bloody scene with a lifeless body strapped to a chair. There was a small group struggling and Trent was yelling to Cass as she retrieved a syringe from a case. Petunia was almost afraid that Uriah may have lost his mind and killed the Warlock but she saw him as he wrestled with the others to keep a snarling and yelling man down.

She couldn't see who it was as Cass tried to inject him and her eyes briefly went to the man that had haunted her dreams and sometimes invaded her nights. He hurt her and there was an dissatisfaction that he was dead. If it was true and the unmoving corpse proved to be dead, shock had her unsettled.

His body was bloodied with old and new bruises marring his face and though his head was slumped backwards, she could see that someone had taken a gun to him. There was blood pooled around his legs and when there was an off calm before her, she realized who the tranq was for as Cass had Kanin's head in her lap. Uriah walked over to Petunia, grabbing her into his arms and she let him hold her as she was at a loss for words.

She felt the nausea hit and she gagged as Uriah quickly led her away from the scene and she closes her eyes trying to get the sight before her out from her memories and failed as soon as they let the building and the night sky was over them, she threw whatever contents that were in her out.

Uriah had held her hair as she let loose and he quietly rubbed her back. When she felt that she was okay and slightly better, someone passing by had handed him water and she gladly took it as tears burned behind her eyes. "You okay?" He asked her as they moved away and he held her arm as they walked slowly. She nodded and took a big gulp of water before asking him, "What happened?" She wasn't used to seeing mutilated corpses but being pregnant didn't help her as her senses had become sensitive and just the smell of death permeated the air. Though Samuel hadn't been dead for long, it was as if his rotten core still lingered and she felt a darkness hanging about.

"It seems the hybrid had lost it. It was truly a sight to see, for a human to lose senses to their inner self and before we knew it, he had a gun and shot the bastard." Uriah said and Petunia tried to understand Kanin's motive as to why. Sure the reason why he was the way he was, was due to the now deceased man, but the times that she had seen him, he was the most composed.

Something must have triggered him for him to lose control like that and kill the most wanted man in Source record. "What is going to happen now?" She asked Uriah who only shrugged. "It was a easy way out, with what he was doing, he deserved much worse."

***

"So what the hell are we supposed to do now?" Makita asked as she stared at the corpse of Samuel. "The Council is going to want answers and considering they're not too fond of Kanin here, I'm sure they're going to want justice."

Trent was sitting on a chair with his elbows on his knees and his palms on his chin as he just stared at the body. While Makita was moving back and forth, he was quiet. He needed to think and her pacing wasn't helping his nerves. "Woman, stop with your pacing. It's distracting." He murmured between his enclosed fists.

Makita huffed at him as she crossed her arms over the other and he noticed her cleavage from where she was standing. Her honey skin was a wonderful contrast to her outfit and though he noticed, he wasn't going to let her know.

Having his brother's killer in such proximity had him testing his restraints but he knew they needed to extract information from him. But all of that information had just been flushed down the toilet when Kanin had finally lost it and killed the son of a bitch. For the years that he has known the man he'd come to care for like his lost brother, the man seem to have a control on his Leo. But tonight, something in him must have snapped and he killed the only person to possibly have answers.

He felt the pain, anger, and sorrow but he had to reel himself back in and one look at the now deceased man, he understood what Kanin must have felt.

"Can't you call in one of your Witch sisters to do what she had done to Kanin. Ride his memories or something to find out the labs?" Trent asked remembering what they had done to recover Leo's human memories when Samuel had killed him. Just like others, Samuel had poached his brother and extracted his Source essence and artificially inserted him into a possible host. Kanin, a military officer thinking he was going into a special super soldier program. Instead, they created the first successful artificial Source being.

If Kanin was a success, there was the possibility that there were others and maybe find an answer to an apparent uprising. Trent glanced at Makita who was watching him closely as she said, "You can add that to the owe-Makita-favors tab." She said as she moved away from him. "But you'll need to explain to the Council why their number one enemy is dead."

"Yeah, well you can use it for your charity of the year. Y'know for the sake of our kind." Trent said standing up and rolling his eyes at the back of her form as she walked away. He'd let his Elders sort that one out with the Council but he remembered he was one of the Elders. Cursing, he rubbed his temple as he threw a tarp over the lifeless Samuel and followed after the pain in his ass Witch.