𝚐𝚘𝚍 𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚐𝚒𝚟𝚎 𝚞𝚜 ⇢ 𝟶𝟷𝟻

September 8th ┆09:12 am

"You don't have to do this, Anais."

Dismissing Pepper's words of concern, the brunette limped ahead; backpack strap hung loosely around her shoulder; almost empty, and ready to be filled by any supplies they could scavenge on this small run. . Or in Anais's condition─ walk.

"I'm fine, okay? Don't worry." She replied reassuringly.

She wasn't fine. Her body ached with each forceful movement her mind would command, but the discomfort of staying behind in that cabin by herself with the possibility of Carl suddenly appearing out of nowhere─ frankly, that brought greater discomfort than her body could ever be capable of doing. And she'd be lying if she said she forgave him for losing it and crashing the car like he did. His little episode only revealed a fraction of the true danger he had within, or so she believed.

"Earth to Anais."

Snapping from her daze, she gave a slight shake of her head before looking aside at the female who snaked an arm around the brunette's─ happily linking them together, "You okay? You've been acting strange all morning."

Allowing a soft huff of air to clear from her lungs, the girl pursed her lips before guiding eyes along the trail they followed.

"Yeah. ." Williams began, weakly nodding her head, "The car crash─ I guess it shook me up a little."

Holding Anais's arm somewhat closer, Pepper studied her face before humming in agreement, "I've been meaning to ask. . How'd you end up in the passenger seat if you were the only one in the car?"

This was the question that would initially catch Anais into silence. After a moment or so of silence, she quietly cleared her throat.

"The impact, I think. . I mean─ I can only assume. I don't remember much."

After a brief period of the rustle of the leaves and the soft songs whistled by the birds being the only sound both girls could hear, Williams looked up to get a good look of their surroundings─ oblivious to the young male that followed; concealed by the many trees that gathered around the space.

  "So, where's this place you've been talking about?" The brunette asked, stopping on her path as Pepper did.

  "Close." She was quick to reply, slowly slipping her arms back to fall by her sides, "Mind if I go and take a quick piss? I'll only be a minute."

    Anais was hesitant, but nodded her head and flashed a faint smile to reassure the female, "Yeah, go ahead."

   Sighing as she watched Pepper trot behind a few bushes to soon disappear behind them; Anais awkwardly stood─ looking around aimlessly.

  "Hey."

She flinched at the familiar voice before she spun around on the heel of her sneakers, softly swallowing at the sight of Carl standing before her.

  "What do you want?" Applying more weight to her uninjured leg, she'd attempt to silence the painful groan that urged to escape.

  "What do I want?" The male replied, sending a glare towards the brunette, "What happened to wanting to help me find my family? All of this─ it was your idea."

  "I know," Rolling her shoulders back to maintain a good posture and appear more serious, Anais returned the glare she received, "But that all changed when you tried to fucking kill me. . You destroyed probably one of the last few working cars left by slamming it into a walker, then off the road and into a tree─ with us inside. Me. A human being who doesn't have the ability to be immortal like some of us around here."

"It was an accident!"

"Well, look at what that so-called accident did to me!" Raising a hand, Anais revealed the missing digit─ the ring finger on her left hand.

  Carl stood, speechless. Frankly, with the maiden filled with such a raging need to spill all of her feelings out in the open, he couldn't utter a word, even if he wished to.

  "I can barely walk anymore. I couldn't even move to take a piss without Pepper's help. And─ And my breathing? Don't get me fucking started. ."

  Exhaling a heavy breath with visible struggle, tears threatened to escape from Williams' eyes. She wasn't upset, nor did the pain feel as intense as it did before. It just felt good to finally get those words off her chest for Carl to hear. If it was to be held against her any longer, she'd surely snap.

   The Grimes boy would stand and stare, gathering each thing said and taking it in to memory. He assumed it'd be best that way. He experienced similar situations before, and talking about it to Anais now─ there'd be no getting through to her. It was time for him to take a step back and let her blow off steam.

   Finally hearing movement from the direction Pepper left to relieve herself, Anais took a slight step back; scanning eyes up Carl's figure briefly.

   "You should probably leave." With that, Anais noticed how Carl's once tense jawline and features has now softened into an emotion she could only describe as guilt.

   "I'm so─"

Before Carl's sentence could meet its end, Williams turned; limping back down the trail and towards Pepper. That was after she'd pause, glancing back at Carl from the corner of her eye.

   "And Carl. . Don't follow me, okay?"

"Ana─"

"Don't."

   Not finding the effort to argue with her, Carl watched as she slowly moved ahead for the platinum blonde to soon appear; linking an arm back around Anais as they left, leaving Carl to stand on the same spot─ staring until their silhouettes disappeared behind the many trees.