Chapter 15: How much of that did you hear?

Zac's POV:

I can't believe that my mom, and Rita, want to evacuate the pod from Mako. If we don't do anything to stop the virus now, who knows how far it will spread, and where else to.

Rita and Nerissa swim out of the moon pool, probably to go and tell the pod what's going on.

"If we leave, we're giving up. When have any of us ever given up on something this important? Never. We're staying, and we're fighting back." Ondina says.

"Ondina," Evie says, "Why don't you have a tail?" She asks her. I look at where she's sitting, with her legs touching the water, still human. The virus took away her power- that's what it could have been designed to do! Not to kill mermaids, but to strip them of their power and make them human.

"What?" She looks down at her legs, that are still there, even though they're in water. "No, no, no! I can't be human! I can't have lost my power!"

"Ondina, I don't think the virus is meant to kill us- I think it's meant to take our powers away." I say after my moment of realisation.

"Who would do something like that though? Why make us human- why not just kill us?" Mimi asks.

"What if the person who started it wanted to collect that power they took somehow?" Pearl suggests, "What if whoever did this just wants more power, rather than revenge on mermaids?"

"That's a good way of looking at it-" Evie starts, "The virus is probably using some of the power to make itself stronger, but there has to be some left over for each mermaid stripped of their power-"

"-Which someone could go in and harness once there's enough." Carly finishes.

"Well, we have a new development, at least, so we need to find a lead on who could have planted it. Then we could also try to find the merman who saved Ondina to get his help." Cam says.

"Who's to say that this merman didn't cause it? Ondina was clearly there long enough to lose all of her power, so maybe he wanted to get her out before it killed her." Pearl says.

"Let's just try to do this on our own for now, and then we can try to find him for help as a last resort. All agreed?" I ask, and everyone agrees with me. "Let's meet back up in the grotto, we all have to get back to school before we miss too much. Ondina, I'll show you the land entrance with Evie, Cam and Carly, and we can take Cam's boat back."

"I don't know if I'm ever going to get used to not having a tail, or powers."

"It's alright, we're all here to help you get through this." Mimi says to comfort her.

"Plus," Cam adds, "You never know, the whole pod could become human soon."

"To soon, Cam." I say, and he just replies with a quiet, 'Well I didn't think it was. I found it funny'

Percy's POV

I show Annabeth Mako island, and then i take her to the land entrance of the moon pool, which I hope is still there. When we walk to where it is supposed to be, we see that it has been changed to a narrow staircase, rather than a slide. I guess that's good for getting out of there, but not as fun to get in.

"So, is this making the most if your time with me?" I ask Annabeth with a smile as we walk into the main pool.

"Well, I'm not quite sure," She says while laughing, "Of course it is, Percy! We could be doing anything and it'd be making the most of our time, because we're together. And I have to say, this place is incredible!"