30.

"Oh, Shawn

"Oh, Shawn.." Gloria said, surprised to see Jay at the door.

Seeing her son for the first time in over twenty years had her at a loss for words. She had been rehearsing what she would say to him for weeks, and now she was voiceless.

He stared at her, taking in her appearance. He didn't know much about his mother, but he always pictured her with dreadlocks down her back just as they were.

She was fairly tall, standing at 5'9. She was dressed in a yellow button down sweater which was twice her size, dark denim jeans, and shoes that were definitely out of date.

Her eyes met his and she softly smiled as tears fell down her face behind her poor reading glasses.

"You lost or what?" Jay asked. She looked in his dark eyes and exhaled slowly.

She should've known he wouldn't be very welcoming towards her. She expected it, but wish things were a little different.

Her eyes traveled from his darkened eyes down to his plumped lips that reminded her of her own.

She could tell from his thin white t-shirt that he worked out occasionally. He was also much taller and bigger than she imagined him to be. He had gotten his built physique from his father.

"You lost?" Jay asked again, this time much louder to be sure she heard him.

Gloria let out a deep sigh and shook her head, "Hi son."

"Fuck you here for?"

He took a step closer to her, making her take a step back. She could feel her heart pacing abnormally fast as different past scenarios came to her mind as she looked up at him.

"Baby.." Gloria heard a soft voice say.

Beyoncé appeared in the doorway, reaching out to hold onto Jay's arm. She didn't want to intervene, but Jay was already getting rowdy.

In the neighborhood they lived in, she wouldn't be surprised if the cops appeared because of how loud he was.

"You can go back inside, I'm good. She about to leave anyway."

Gloria looked away from his strong glare as the tears streamed down her face. "I just want to talk."

"What we talking about exactly?" Jay challenged, "It definitely ain't about a relationship. I don't even know you. You want money? A flight back to Jamaica? I'll happily book it for you just so you can get the fuck off my property."

Beyoncé stood behind him with her arms crossed over her chest. She knew all too well how Jay could get when he's upset.

Thankfully, he has never been seriously mad at her — not as mad as he was at that exact moment.

She could see the hurt written all over Gloria's face, and it made her feel a little sympathy. She grabbed Jay's strong arm and looked at him.

"Come on baby. Let's just go back inside, okay?"