Part 1

Traveling to the castle had been different this year, instead of the train I had requested apparition rights from Professor McGonagal. The idea of taking the train without Harry feeling wrong and upsetting. It was strange, when I had imagined my last year at Hogwarts this was not what I had expected, friends had been lost, enemies defeated. The strangest thing of all was Harry  not being here.

The icy wind whipped my face causing blood to rush to my cheeks and the pearly snow crunched under my boots. Flakes of white falling into my hair soaking down to my scalp.

Shivering I trudged up the path from the boundary to the castle doors .

"Hermione!", a voice shouted from behind me.

That couldn't be, I shook my head turning around to see a man running towards me, black hair and green eyes and a grin from ear to ear.

Harry running towards me.

"Harry! You're here!" I screamed, flinging my arms around him laughing.

"Wow loosen the grip little a mione your gonna crush me" he chuckled through fake chocking sounds.

This only made me hold him tighter, relishing the fact that he was here, with me.

I let go of him smiling. "You didn't tell me you were coming this year. I thought after, after everything you were going to skip this year"

"I was going to do that but, well I figured that now that Voldemort is gone and the school is safe again I'd rather spend one more year at hogwarts with you...and Ron and everybody"

"What about your auror training?" I asked remembering his plan.

"That can wait one more year"

I nodded looking up at him. His green eyes stood out brightly against his black hair, their different shades highlighted by the glare of the snow.

"So I take it Ron knows your here then?" I asked.

"No" he replied "I came and found you first"

I blushed, the rosy red skin on my cheeks betraying me. "We better go find him then!" I said cheerfully.
•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~
Ron laughed heartily slapping a hand on Harry's back. The long benches of the great hall filled with hungry students.

"That cousin of yours Harry, I dont know how you deal with him"

"Yeah but I'll be leaving there soon, after this year I'm going to get my own place and start training, become an auror" Harry replied a glimmer of hope looming behind his grief clouded irises.

The war happened about a year ago now but the horrors of it are still fresh in my mind, in everyone's minds. Nightmares plague me at night and the flashbacks hit me when I'm most vulnerable. But I get through it, it takes time but eventually the panic subsides and reality starts to make sense again.

"I want to move to Paris, or London, or Venice, somewhere beautiful" I sighed.

"That sounds good to me" smiled Harry.

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•
Later on in the day we started the long walk down the icy path to our Care of Magical Creatures Class. Long black cloaks flapping in the wind could be seen all the way down the route.

Just then Ron slipped on the rocky terrain his foot momentarily sliding down the path. Panicking he grabbed onto Harry's hood just in time and tugged himself back up.

"Bloody hell Harry its a bit icy, sorry about that"  Ron grunted.

"It's fine mate" Harry chuckled

All of the grounds were covered in snow and the forbidden forest was no exception. The usually scary looking trees were dusted with a glistening layer of snow their branches reflecting shards of light like mirrors giving the forest a magical look.

We stumbled along to Hagrid's hut and I knocked on the large wooden door waiting for a reply.
A voice came from inside the house " I's not yur' lesson yet I's in ten mins time go 'ave fun in the snow"

"Hagrid it's us" I announced from outside.

"You should have said it was you 'ermione , give me one sec" There was a loud clanging sound and a frustrated grunt from inside the hut. After a beat the old door creaked open on its rusty hinges.

A ginormous giant of a man stepped out from inside his face lit up like the sun.

"Why it's 'ermione Granger, Ron Weasley an 'arry Potter. I didn't know ye were comin 'arry "

"I decided I wanted to spend another year with my friends"

" I've missed you lot. Come over ere" he said smiling.
His arms wrapped around Harry squeezing him happily.

"Well we better go and get to our lesson now" I mentioned.

"Oh calm down Hermione we haven't missed it yet" Ron scoffed.

I looked away, sensing that I had pissed Ron off.

Harry glanced at me his eyebrows slightly furrowing "Nah Ron, Hermione is right our class is waiting outside" 
~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~~•~•~•~•~•~
I stared at the bandicoot in awe it's pointed brown ears twisting nervously.

"Now then be careful because although Boris is normally harmless the cold weather agitates him so he might be slightly snappy" Hagrid advised looking pointedly at Neville.

" Hermione are you glad you came back this year m?" Harry asked almost nervously.

"Yes, well the course for transfiguration looks very interesting , so does the defence against the dark arts course and I'm really looking forward to spending one last year here"I replied.

He smiled at me his lips pulling into a lopsided grin his eyes full of an emotion I couldn't quite put my finger on.

Stepping forward closer to him my shoe hit a section of black ice and my foot went tumbling out from under me. I slammed my hands backwards to brace myself but my head snapped back hitting the hard floor.

"Hermione are you ok?! " Harry worried.

"Yeah , yeah I'm fine " I stammered my head throbbing.

"Your hands" he gasped crouching down beside me and holding them carefully " their bleeding"

"Oh" I said blood pounding through my skull.

I touched my scraped up fingers to the back of my head, they came back covered in a sheen of bright red blood.

"Harry my head is..." his face swam in and out of focus, his green eyes analysing me for injuries. My vision tunnelled and finally went black and I was plunged into darkness.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•
Hi , I'm nev this is my first Harry Potter fanfic I Obviously don't own the characters just loved them!
Please comment and I hope you enjoy!

Nev xxx