A Child's First Chapter of Love

In most common cases,

The first sight of love for a kid is probably the sight of a mother handling them with care,

The first sight of love for a kid is probably the sight of a father raising them high up in the air,

The first sight of love for a kid is probably the sight of their siblings playing with them that they will never be bored,

The first sight of love for a kid is probably the sight of the big world ahead of them waiting to be explored,

But what about a child's first chapter of love?

In most common cases, a child would meet up with their first love, or first 'crush' during their period of elementary school.

To the child, this first experience of encountering their first love might be so overwhelming and at the same time astounding too,

The child would be literally devoured in the thoughts being loved by a significang other that sometimes their lifestyle would even be altered with some prior hints such as how a kid who is usually late to school would come even earlier than expected, and how a kid who is all running and jolly around the whole school compound would be attached to someone visibly in a sudden.

These children would then believe that their first love is their true love; because children tend to believe at tje first things they see and feel.

And this certainly happened to her years ago. Even now, she is still convinced that this occurrence is slightly magical.

It was a time when she was a little girl in her primary school. She was, unlike others, had to come to school too earlier, even sometimes she was the first one to ever arrive. She usually played alone waiting for her friends to come but they would arrive at the time the sun was fully shining. And when they did arrive, the first classmates she would see were some boys of her age. And that was how she preferred to play with them rather than with the female classmates.

Her male classmates and her did nothing unique. They just played hide and seek, sometimes playing a chasing game, playing tag, or they would pretend they had powers and they would battle, and even in rare cases some of the boys would show her a 'beetle fight' where two insects (usually ants) would be gathered and their antennae would be plucked out so the two of them would fight as a result. These were what the children do almost everyday.

But then one day something happened.

When she was playing hide and seek in the abandoned toilet at the back of the school (the toilet was also famous for being haunted somehow), one of her male classmates brought her to hide behind a door of the toilet and they two stayed there while the rest of the boys continued looking for them.

She initially thought this would be just a series of hiding and seeking and that this boy here was just helping her to hide from others. But no, because the next thing she knew was that the boy whispered her a sentence of a magical spell.

"I like you."

At first she was not convinced of it. She just stared at him wordlessly. And the boy had to repeat those three words to her again. And this time, she finally accepted those words within her head and heart. But she of course, was hesitating too.

"You like me? Although I am not pretty?"

That was true, even when she was just a little girl, she had long acknowledged the fact that she was not the prettiest in the class, let alone being a beauty. It was obvious. But she took it casually. And she did not expect too much from that one fact either. But again today this boy just showed her how the world sometimes can be different.

"Yes."

That one simple answer the boy delivered her with and she was already smiling thanking the nature and everything for making the sun brighter that day specifically for her to enjoy because she did not even expect nor wait for someone to tell her those three words with a visible true sincerity.

And that was it. Starting from that day she was blossoming and skipping here and there. She came even earlier to school just to spend her free times with the boy whom she liked. Honestly, she never actually had feelings toward this boy before, she never had feelings for anyone at all because she thought no one would fall for her. But then after the boy told her those three words, he right away evolved from just a mere classmate to Prince Charming whom she praised everyday. They completed one another until everyone knows their love story.

But then, their 'love story' ended just for a week.

No, it was not about a break-up. It was more than that. The two of them stopped their routine of treating one another as lovers. He stopped showing her affection and she also stopped coming earlier to school. They both stopped everything even some of her friends asked her what happened. Starting from that day, they were no longer lovers.

But then, she could not even tell what had actually happened; they stopped loving just like that.

It was as if she had somehow agreed with the boy that they would just end it like that and continued to be mere classmates, no longer lovers. And that was it, everything ended just like that. And no heartbreak too; just a slight confusion yet that did not spark anything alongside it.

Even now, the two of them just stayed as friends as if nothing had happened before between them.

This chapter of her book might not sound so special to your ears, but to her it does; because it teaches her an eternal lesson that the boy and her stopped loving one another because the 'spark of love' they had was just temporary and they no longer felt it.

All in final words, the lesson she does earn is that true love is never about confessing using words or flowers. In fact, true love is much deeper than that; it is entirely about finding the definition of love within the person you want to start the spark with.

-even yesterday when she met with him again, all they did was to start and end an awkward conversation. and a child's first chapter of love is just another way to realise what 'true love' really is-