Chapter 5 - Spider-Man

(Your POV):
"I think you'll enjoy what we have in store for you today," my father informed me as we walked into base a week later.

"I wasn't aware training was supposed to be fun, but I must admit I do enjoy the satisfaction of winning against the Avengers. However, considering I'm still stuck on Cap that must not be what you're referring to," I replied, careful to not let him suspect I had fallen.

"No, that's not what I mean," he answered, opening the door to the training room for me. "We've already discovered that your physical strength is up to par against normal humans, but now it is time to make sure that your mental strength is where we need it to be. We must make sure that no weakness can be found anywhere that would jeopardize a mission. And I seem to recall you struggling with this towards the beginning of your training."

"Struggling with what?" I questioned, slipping past him and into the room. Instead of facing a team of trained soldiers, there was a little girl waiting for me inside with a panicked expression on her face. I took in a shaky breath and asked, "who is she?"

"No one of importance, just an easy target to capture so that we may test your abilities," my father explained, closing the door behind him. "Why? Are you having doubts about killing her?"

"Not at all, just making sure that she is not involved with anything sensitive," I lied as I took out my weapon. "Although I must admit, I get bored of these easy kills."

"I would think that you would enjoy missions like these, it's an easy mission to make up for all of your failures against Spider-Man."

I felt anger bubble up inside of me at his comment and I jumped to defend myself, "well, I haven't exactly been given the chance to go up against him since you have been keeping me trapped in here instead of running missions like I used to."

My father smirked at me, "in that case, I expect you to engage him tonight, after proving to me that you can still kill whoever gets in your way."

The young girl let out a frightened cry as my father spoke and I turned from him, knowing that there was no way out of this. I'm sorry, I thought as I raised my silencer to meet her, quickly pulling the trigger so that I would not have to look into her tear-filled eyes for longer than necessary. I then turned back to my father, holstering my gun, "am I free to go fight Captain America for the rest of the morning?"

He nodded, "you better defeat him today."

After hours in the training room, I finally had Captain America pinned down, but felt as though I was going to pass out. I ran my blade through his chest and collapsed on the ground as the illusion disappeared. Although completely exhausted, I was thankful for the long fight as it took my mind off of the young girl I had killed. She was one of many, but I didn't forget a single one and it was getting harder to bury them all with the assurance that I was doing this to better the world. I wasn't quite sure that I still believed that excuse anymore.

I somehow managed to drag myself back to my apartment, my entire body shaking and feeling as though I was going to be sick with every step that I took. Once there, I collapsed on my bed and set an alarm for the evening so that I would not accidentally sleep into the night when my father had given me strict instructions to engage Spider-Man.

Although not completely recovered, I was feeling much more refreshed when I awoke from my nap and shortly thereafter set out to find Spider-Man. My first thought was to bait a trap for him the way I had when I had captured him the first time, but I was afraid that the same trick wouldn't work again. Besides, I would have to rely on the hope that he was in the area to hear the scream. Instead I checked all of his fan accounts to identify his last known position, finding evidence that he had just fled from webbing up a criminal near Delmar's.

"God he really does love that place," I muttered as I set out in that direction, keeping my eyes peeled for my favorite web-slinging hero.

It wasn't long before I found him swinging from building to building, clearly enjoying himself. I rolled my eyes at him, grappling up to a nearby roof and slicing his web with one of my daggers. As a result, he began to fall to the ground, but quickly attached another web to catch himself and looked up at me. The eyes of his mask grew as he saw me staring down at him and he swung his way up to the roof to meet me. Upon his landing, I unsheathed two daggers holding them at my side and allowing sparks to travel down them as a warning to stay away.

"Void! It's been a while, I've missed you," Peter spoke, seeming unafraid of my powers.

"I've been away, but now I have returned to clean up the scum of this city and my superiors believe that that is you," I replied, making sure to keep my voice steady as I took a step towards him.

Peter faltered slightly, "here I was thinking that we were starting to become friends. You still want to fight me?"

"You sent the Avengers to attack me!" I cried out, pointing a blade towards him and shooting a bolt of energy out of it. It hit him in the shoulder, causing him to stumble back and his hand flew to where I had hit him.

"I never sent the Avengers after you, they came when they saw two enhanced fighting me on a rooftop. And they think you are a threat, so I'm sure they were hoping to kill three birds with one stone."

"They think I am a threat," I repeated, beginning to circle him like prey. "And how about you."

"I'm unsure. One minute you're attacking me and the next you're fighting by my side. And now apparently you're back to fighting me."

"I only joined with you because we shared a common enemy. Now it's just you and me. I've failed my mission once before, I will not fail it again."

"You mean when you let me go? Because that didn't seem like a failure, I thought that that was more a deliberate choice by you."

"I was wrong, it was a moment of weakness. It will not happen again," I spoke with determination, landing a punch across his right cheek and beginning the fight.

-

(A/N): Up against Peter again! Who will win this fight? Or will it end in a truce? I hope you enjoyed this chapter!