9

Aidan pov

Nate was too good to me. I didn't deserve it. He noticed things about me that no one else would bother to. He noticed the tears on my face and the slight limpy walk.
He gave amazing hugs. I felt almost at home in his arms. More safe than I had felt for years. It made me want to let him in and see my face fully but I couldn't risk it. Once this project was over, Nate would leave and I'd be alone again.
"Nate? What do you like to be called?" I asked out the blue. To be honest I was trying to make him talk. I loved his accent.
"It depends really. I like Nate because it's new and doesn't remind me of home as my dad used to call me Nathan. You can call me whatever you'd like though. I don't mind."
"Okay... you must miss your family."
"Everyday, but I can't be around them. It's not healthy for any of us." Maybe I could talk to- no. My dad needs me. Even if he tries to kill me. He needs me and I need him. Who would cook the meals?

Our project was half finished when it was nearing 6:30. I knew I needed to be back for 7 exactly or it'd be hell but I didn't want to leave. I was having too much fun.
"Nathan. I need to go. My dad needs me home for 7. Thanks for having me over."
"Oh. Alright. Did you need a lift back?"
"No. Thanks though." I got up to leave. Nathan followed me to the door where an older man stood.
"Nate. Is this Aidan?"
"Yeah. I'm just walking him to the door."
"It's nice to meet you Aidan. I'm Rob. If you ever need anything, feel free to ask."
"Thank you. Bye Nathan."
"Bye! See you tomorrow."
...

"Where've you been?" My father roared in my face as soon as I stepped through the door. It was 7:02 and I was late.
"Working on a school project. I'm sorry I'm late. It won't happen again."
My hood was yanked from my head. "I want to see your face when  I'm talking to you!" A slap to my cheek. "In fact you shouldn't even be wearing this crap. Everyone should be able to see how disrespectful and naughty you are." I was dragged over to the kitchen wall where I crumpled to the floor. Oh no. He was getting the lighter.
"No! Please no! I'm sorry! I won't wear one again! Please! Please..."
The small flame ignited my jumper and burned my skin. I screamed.
"Stop! Please!" I tried my hardest to put out the flame with my hands but it was too much. Smoke filled the small space as I coughed. "Please..."