22

Nate pov

"Nate? Are you okay?" I hadn't noticed I was crying until Aidan wiped the tears off my cheeks with the pad of his thumb.
"Yeah. I'm okay." I took a sip of my now cold chocolate. "I'm just upset my hot chocolate now tastes salty." I chuckled lightly. I must've been crying into the drink. I got up and poured the remainder of the hot chocolate down the sink before making a fresh cup and placing in front of Aidan. I wasn't in the mood for another. "Drink up."
The atmosphere was tense as he sipped at the drink in silence so much so, you couldn't cut through it with a knife.
"Okay. I'm just going to go ahead and say it. Who the hell was that woman? Why did she make you cry and why didn't you tell me?" I growled lowly.
"Please calm down Nathan. It's nothing to worry about. I promise. It's a good thing- I think."
"Spit it out."
Flinching at my harsh words he begged me "Can we go somewhere else? Please?"
I walked out the kitchen towards Aidan's bedroom without a word- he followed me like a lost puppy.
Once there, I didn't sit on the bed like I usually did. Instead I stood (arms folded) across the room, as far away from him as possible.
Aidan sighed. "That lady I was with is my mum. She left when I was little."
"Why would she want to see you now? She left you!"
"I-I asked her here. I w-wanted answers and um closure." Silence. Not a sound from either of us."-she asked me to live with her Nate. It's all I've ever wanted. I'd get my mum back- her love back . I'd get a family-" All I could feel was betrayal and hurt. I'd promised Aidan I'd be the one to look after him. Not some random who didn't truly love him. "Nathan.
Say something. Please.
"Don't call me that! Only people I trust call me that."
"Nate?"
"Go. I don't care." But I did care. So much. "Go back to that bitch who left you with your father who tried to kill you. Go. Go and leave everyone who's ever tried to help you." I spat, storming to the door, "but just know, if you go, it's over."
I left slamming the door behind me.

Aidan pov

It's over. It's over. It's over.
Those fateful words repeated again and again in my head as I curled myself into a ball, rocking slightly, in the corner of my room. I can't believe I trusted him- loved him- and he betrayed me. This is why I kept myself hidden. This is exactly what I was trying to avoid. This hurts way worse than any bruise or injury I've received from my father. Why would he do this?
As I was drowning in my own self pity, there was a knock at the door. It was Jacob. He ran over and curled up in my lap like a small kitten , innocent and cute.
"I'm sorry Aidan. I'll love you. I'll make you happy again."
"You're the best Jacob." I snuffled. "You're going to make someone so happy when you're older. That person will be so lucky to have you."
"Want chocolate? It makes me happy." He smiled at me, his little face lighting up and the thought of the sweet goodness. Pulling me to my feet, he dragged me out the door by my arm towards the kitchen. "Come on! You're so slow!" He laughed. "I wanna eat chocolate and watch a movie!"
"Okay. Okay. I'm coming."

Authors note

Happy Easter! 🐣
This hurt me to write. Sorry it's a sad chapter. It'll get better I promise.
On a better note, isn't Jacob just the cutest ☺️