26

Aidan pov

Nathan couldn't have been more understanding. All my dad had ever told me was that everyone except him would hate me and that I'd be alone forever. And I'd believed every word that ever came out of his mouth.
I'd expected Nate to slam the door is my face when he saw the writing on my leg, but he'd done the exact opposite. It has shocked me at first when he grasped my shoulders and kissed me, however I soon realised he wasn't going to let anything my father did get in the way of his love for me. So I kissed him back.

Nate loved me. I could feel it when he stared at me form the other side of the classroom. I could feel it in the way he'd casually kiss my forehead when we watched tv. Except it wasn't casual to me: I could feel the tingles where his lips had touched my skin hours after he had. I could feel it when Nate offered over his hoodie or his leather jacket when I shivered with the cold. And then I knew there was nothing Nate wouldn't do to ensure I was safe and I was loved.

Under the green covers of my bed, Nate was softly snoring, his arms wrapped round my waist, his head resting on my chest, using me as a pillow. I was staring at the ceiling contemplating how I ended up here, with a loving boyfriend and a family who cared.
It feels like only yesterday I was sneaking down to my dads computer to type up my book on my USB stick. No. No no no no no. Where's my USB stick? I take it everywhere with me. I've not seen it in days.

I slid out from under Nate's body, replacing it with a pillow which he immediately hugged onto. I needed to find that memory stick. It was the most important possession I owned. I threw open every draw and cupboard, scrambling to find the small storage device. "No! Where are you stupid stick!" Clothes went flying as I pulled them out the wardrobe onto the floor.
"Aid? What are you doing?"
"I can't find my memory stick Nathan. I have to find it. It's too important to lose."
"Come back to bed. I'm sure we will find it in the morning." Nate yawned.
"You don't understand! It's not here! I think it's at my dad's. If he finds it I'm dead! There's enough on it to send him and Carl to prison for life."
"Aidan." He grasped my wrist roughly, his fierce brown eyes piercing into my own. "Promise me, you won't go back to that house." I squirmed under his gaze.
"I need to get it back Nate. My whole life is on that memory stick."
"And what is he's there huh? Waiting for you to come home. You'll be right back where you started, and there will be nothing anyone can do. What then?"
"Nate, you're hurting me."
"You don't think it's going to hurt more when your father beats you senseless for leaving him?" I stayed silent. I knew he was right. "That's what I thought." He let go and dropped my gaze. "Don't go back to that house."

...

Nate pov

It was our annual campfire at the care home that evening. All 17 of us and Rob sat side by side on chairs and beanbags and stools, surrounding the orange glowing flames of the fire. I could feel the heat metres away as we toasted marshmallows on sticks and chatted loudly, sharing ghost stories and campfire songs. I had Aidan tucked under my arm in a hug, a blanket hardly covering our shoulders. Jacob was sat next to a young ginger haired girl who had arrived earlier this morning. (Secretly I think he has a crush on her).
"Rob!" I called from the other side of the flames "I'm going to sing a song." I got up, giving Aidan a kiss to the forehead as I did so. My guitar was not too far away- I'd stashed it just inside the back door.

"I'm dedicating this song to Aidan. I don't play often, but I've been working on this one to help my boyfriend realise how wonderful he actually is." I smiled at Aidan who had started blushing.

Playing my guitar for Aidan made me feel so alive and proud that I could call him my boyfriend and that he was able to survive through everything his dad forced upon him.
Yes. I am proud to call Aidan my boyfriend.