10

Nate pov

As soon as Aidan left I felt the emptiness next to me. It was strange.
"Nate. Aidan seems nice enough but you know the rules."
"Yeah yeah but Aidan feels safe under the hood. I don't know why he won't put it down but I think we should respect that."
"That's not what I am talking about."
"Oh?"
"You didn't ask my permission to bring him over. You know I have to fill in paperwork before anyone new comes over. And we need his parents permission."
"That's stupid! I should be able to have a friend over without stinking paperwork! Sometimes I wish I was back at home!"
"Nate chill. You know we have to do this. It's health and safety for the kids. I try and give you as much freedom as I can."
"I know. It's just unfair. Any other kid wouldn't have to do this."
"I get that. I really do. It isn't fair. I am concerned with Aidan though. He looks the same way that you looked and acts the same way Jacob acts now."
"I don't get that. He's fine."
"Just keep an eye out. You don't want him to get hurt."

Aidan pov

Waking up in the mud of the backyard shocked me. I never thought my father would hate me enough to dump me outside. The cold wind whipped me as the remains of my clothing hardly protected me from the elements. Attempting to stand up, I was pulled back down by a rope tied around my ankle, attaching me to the tap. What the hell?
"Excellent. You're awake." Great. "When I let you go, I want you to make me some supper before scrubbing the toilet clean. Got it?" I nodded out of pure terror. "Go."

My whole body aches from bending over the toilet for hours. I'd only been given some soapy supply and a small, toothbrush sized scrubbing brush.  From what I could tell, it was nearing morning. I was exhausted, my muscles were exhausted and m in skin was exhausted from the burns pain.
"Aidan. Get dressed and get out my house. I don't want to see you until 6am tomorrow morning. You're getting too self absorbed and weak. I can't even look at you right now. Get out!"
"Yes sir..." I ran out the room before he had a chance to do anything else to my broken body.

"No. No no no no no." He's ripped up all my hoodies. All around me were scrap fabric pieces of what used to be my safety net. How was I supposed to hide now? I pulled a grey T-shirt over my head and put on some new joggers. The mirror to my right displayed my worst insecurity. My burnt skin is on full display. I have no way of hiding what my father does to me. All my scars are on display. I can't go out like this. What's everyone going to think?

Luckily nobody questioned me all morning until Nathan joined me in my tree at lunch.
"Hey Aidan. Did you want to work on the project tonight?" I nodded, not trusting my voice. Then he noticed my bare, wrecked arms. "Aid. Be truthful here, what happened to your arms? Does anyone at home hurt you?"

I bolted, unable to tell Nathan the truth. I couldn't let him know.
Nate called after me, "Aidan wait!"