28

Aidan pov

I'd never felt pain like this in my life. Even that day when Nate saved me was not as bad as this agony. My dad was right. He was going to make my life a living nightmare.

Nathan's favourite hoodie lay in tatters at my feet. My dad hated me wearing hoodies. And I could only feel guilt.

"Against the wall!" My dad ordered. Stumbling, I did so, trying to avoid any further pain. I could barely hear him due to the ringing of my ears.
"You're pathetic Aidan! No one but me could ever love you! You're mine. No one else's. You're mine!" Having heard enough crap, I spun round, stopping my father in his tracks.
"You know nothing! I have a family now! I proper family. One that doesn't hurt me. I have a boyfriend..." I sobbed. "You don't deserve me!" Oh god. Nathan was right. He told me not to come here. And now I'm never going to see him again. He's been nothing but good to me and I betrayed him.
"You bastard!" My dad launched for my throat and started squeezing. Hard. My lungs were burning, a red searing pain. I clawed at his hand, the edges of my vision turning spotty black. The floor seemed a million miles away.
This was it. I was going to die. Staring into the eyes of the man that haunts my dreams. At least I'd never have to see him again...
"Death's too good for you." My dad let go and I went sprawling to the floor, landing on my already painful wrist. I yelped out in pain. The monster then dragged me by my already blue and black wrist to a kitchen chair. I was in too much pain to put up fight. "You're going to sit there whilst I finish working. Then we're leaving." He turned to leave as though nothing had ever happened.

I don't know how long I sat there and dwelled on the pain. Seconds, minutes, hours. All I could focus on was the thumping of my heart, the dull ache of my head and the throbbing fire in my wrist and ankle. The pain was so immense that I could no longer pass out. Why didn't I just listen to Nate?

From somewhere in the depths of the house behind me came a voice. Nate's voice. No. It can't be. The blood loss must have sent me loopy.
"Yes sir. I'm Nathaniel. I was just here to see if you'd seen Aidan? He didn't come home after his walk. I'm worried about him."
"And who exactly are you to my son?"
"I'm his boyfriend sir." I could hear Nate's gasp and the harsh slap sound echo throughout the house. My father hadn't taken this too far. He'd hurt my boyfriend. And that was not okay.

I needed to stop my dad laying another finger on my boyfriend. This was my problem. Not his.

But before I could move, my father appeared in my view, dragging Nate by the scruff of his collar. He thrust Nate down on his knees in front of me. His cheek was red and it would surely bruise tomorrow.
"Nathan. I'm so sorry. You were right. I shouldn't have come here." I cried, the tears dripping onto my bare and bruised chest.
"Aid baby-"
"Shut up!" Nate received a blow to his eye. "This is what you do Aidan! You disobey me and people get hurt. It's what made your mother leave. It's what made your ex leave. It's what killed your step mum. It's what caused me to lose carl and my life. And now you are adding this boy to your list of disasters. We're leaving. Now."
"Take me instead! Let Aidan go and take me instead. You want someone to love you? I'll love you. Just let Aidan go."
"Nate no!"
"Trust me Aidan." His voice deepened a few octaves, sending a chill down my spine. "Be brave and trust me."