Epilogue

3 years later

Aidan pov

Nathan would be here any minute now. I'd been staring at the clock on my mums baby blue kitchen wall for the past 3 hours- waiting for each tick to turn time to 7:30. But the more I mindlessly stared at it, the more time slowed down.
"I know you're excited to see your boyfriend, but at least eat some supper. We don't want you wasting away now do we?"  Cassie sauntered into the kitchen, grabbing a cup from the cupboard.
"I'm not hungry." I grumbled.
"Listen to your mom Aidan. She's a smart lady- she knows what she's talking about."

I turned around to face Nate who was casually leaning against the doorframe, his arms folded across his leather clad chest. His hair lay flat on his forehead as if it had been flattened by something.

He looked as gorgeous as the first day I met him. If not more so.

"Nathan!" I gasped, bounding over to give him a tight hug. "I've missed you."
"I've missed you too baby. Have you got the stuff?" I nodded. I'd been ready since midnight last night.

Leading me outside, I smiled at Nate's perfectly shiny motorbike. He'd taken good care of it. It didn't look a day old.

Nathan produced a leather jacket and trousers from the back of his bike and told me to put them on. I laughed. The jacket was too sizes too large- Nate's spare jacket I was sure. He then proceeded to place a helmet over my head and fasten the strap.
"I don't want you getting hurt if I crash this thing. I've only been driving a few months." I smiled. He cared too much.

I clambered on the back of Nathan's bike and clasped my arms round his waist after placing my papers in the box on the back of the bike where the clothes came from.
"Hold on tight aid."

It was so freeing to feel the wind against my body and the sun beating down on my back as we sped down the motorway with my arms around my boyfriend.
I'd not seen him for a few weeks but it made each second I did have with him, even more special.

...

Orange, bright and beautiful, the flames of the fire lit up the darkness of the forest surrounding us. I stared at them entrancingly as Nate massaged my tense shoulders, occasionally kissing my cheek. Each flame held a unique colour palate of warm oranges and reds with the occasional green flame dancing within the fire.
"You ready aid?" I nodded, pulling the stack of papers that I'd transferred from the bike to my back pocket.
I scanned my eyes over the words on the first page.

12 may
Today wasn't the worst day we'd shared. He mainly stayed out my way- physically repulsed by me. I wanted to relax but I couldn't. I had to be on my guard. Last time I did relax, I couldn't see clearly for the next few days. I think he's in the garden now, mowing the lawn. He seems relaxed. Hopefully he won't hit me today.

I threw that sheet in the fire pit, watching the edges start to burn and crumple in the flames. Gone forever.

2 June
I can't breathe. Each breath is like hot lava in my lungs. He'd attacked me for not ironing out all the creases in his suit. I couldn't see any creases. Carl came over to "look after" me. He just made everything 1000 time's more painful.

I threw another few pages in the flames, watching as they disintegrated into nothingness. As they did so, I felt lighter and more free than I'd ever felt before.

29 September
Today's the anniversary of my mother's disappearance. I'm petrified. My father is upstairs, throwing furniture about. I'm scared he's going to come down here and treat me like that. Someone help. Please...

I tossed the last papers into the fire as I continued to stare at the flames. He was gone. The memories I'd written were gone. I was gone. I was free.

Nathan tucked me under his arm and kissed my forehead. Both of us reeling in the feeling of our love, staring at our painful pasts burning in the raging inferno.

"Thank you Nate. For everything. I love you."

Authors note.

That's a wrap! I can't believe it's over so soon! It's been a crazy adventure and I've loved every minute of it.

I want to to thank each and every one of you for making it this far. I wish I could give you all a hug so virtual hug!

Every one of your votes and comments and reads really does mean the world to me and I can't believe I've got 1k votes

Every one of your votes and comments and reads really does mean the world to me and I can't believe I've got 1k votes. I honestly thought I would barely get any reads. So Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!