16

Aidan pov

"Stop... stop. Please! I'm sorry! Stop..." I fought my way backwards, scrambling on the floor to get as far away from my savage father as possible. I normally wouldn't fight, but now I had something to fight for.
Yesterday was the best day of My life. I'd finally let someone in and it hadn't backfired in my face- I had a boyfriend and he couldn't be more caring, loving and accepting of my miserable life.
"You're pathetic! I've hardly touched you. My father would've beaten me to a pulp for talking back. But if you must, you have 2 minutes to grab a drink of water and catch your breath. Then you're going to take everything I give you without a word. Got it?" Frantically, I nodded to avoid any extra punishment. "Go."

Nate pov

Today was a big day for Jacob. He had to testify against his dad in court. Rob has asked me to come along for support. He was only eight and facing his father again would be extremely hard for him. Currently, I was stood outside his room, waiting for him to finish getting changed.
"Jacob? You ready to go?" Thud. That's not good. That sounded like he punched the wall. "Hey. Don't do that. Your gonna be fine."
"He hates me. It's my fault."
"What's your fault? Jacob, you know your dad was going to get caught anyway, right? You did yourself a favour."
"He wasn't. I-I gave him the drugs. And I phoned the police..."
"Who gave you them Jacob? You can't have got them on your own." He's only eight. Even drug dealers know not to give drugs to children under ten- and Jacob only looked 5.
"My neighbour. She said they'd help both of us but now I'm not so sure. It's only caused us trouble." Shit. This is not good. This could send the whole case south. Jacob could go into juvenile detention for handling drugs and his father could use this against us.
"You need to tell Rob. Does your dad know? Jacob... this could be really bad. We need to tell Rob. Now."
"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to..."
"Don't say sorry. We just need to fix this. I can't let you get into trouble for this. Not happening on my watch." I pulled him along roughly to Robs office. He looked up at the sudden interruption as I explained what I'd just learnt.
"Is this true?" He said turning to a very worried Jacob. "I think we can protect you because you were told to give it to your dad but  just don't- don't say anything about it okay? If your father brings it up-deny it.
I can't promise you this is going to be easy. Your dad will try everything to escape scathe free and I don't know what will happen in court but I do know this: you are strong enough to get through it and we are all with you. Everybody in that courtroom will be on your side Jacob. Just remember that."

I was fuming when I wasn't allowed in the courtroom to support Jacob. He was petrified to go today. What didn't help my emotions was that I'd had a bad gut feeling all day. I was worried about Aidan. He'd insisted that he was going to go home yesterday. I'd begged and begged and begged him not to but he flat out refused. I'd hate myself if he got hurt because I couldn't protect him.
After the case had been closed, Dean (Jacobs abuser and crap excuse of a dad) requested you 'say goodbye' to Jacob. I was very sceptical of his motives, why would a man how beat his son want any closure like that? Again, I wasn't allowed in the room.
When I heard Dean speaking, I knew Jacob was in deep trouble. Forcing my way through the police barricade, I scooped Jacob into my arms once I was through the oak door.
"I suggest you don't try anything Dean. I know the likes of you. I've dealt with the likes of you. So don't. Go back to the hell hole you came from. There are police right outside that door so I would stay clear of anything that could get you in worse trouble than you already are." I stormed out with Jacob on my hip, clinging to my shoulder.
"You'll pay Jacob! Just you wait!" He roared after us.
My T-shirt was being soaked with tears which made me even more emotional. That man had caused more lasting damage than he could have ever imagined. Jacob was too young to be exposed to that kind of behaviour. "It's okay. Let it all out. You were so brave Jacob. You never have to see him again."

Aidan pov

My father was being relentless. The pain was relentless. Everything was relentless. I couldn't breathe and I was coughing up blood with every punch and every kick. My abdomen was on fire. I couldn't see straight. Help. I needed help. I needed Nathan.
"Stand up! Fight me like a man! I raised you to be strong. Not a fucking wuss!" When I stood, I almost collapsed due to the pain. I staggered sideways, dizzy beyond belief- most of my blood lay on the floor and up the walls. I'm surprised that I hadn't passed out yet. "You're just like your mother. She couldn't handle a simple beating. What? Are you going to leave me too? Oh wait, you're too weak. You need me." A punch to the stomach, knocking me instantly backwards into the wall. "You deserve everything you get. But I'm done with you. Get out of my sight."

With all the energy I could muster I threw open the front door and stumbled my way down the road. My vision was getting darker and darker, tunnelling until all I saw was black.

Authors note

Thank you so much for 1k reads. Every read and every vote means so much. Thank you!!! 💜