Happy Birthday

Aurora quickly pulled on her work badge as she adjusted the bag on her shoulder. She rushed down the stairs and to the foyer and quickly opened the door. She expected John to be waiting for her, but she had run into another person first. Aurora quickly stopped her rushed gait and looked up at Tommy Merlyn.

Tommy let out a smile and shoved his hands back into his coat pocket.

"Hi, I was hoping to catch you before you left."

Aurora was slightly confused. "Tommy?"

Tommy nodded. "Yeah, We met a few days ago. I'm Oliver's friend."

Aurora nodded. "Right. Uh, sorry I'm a little rushed."

Tommy shook his head. "Oh, sorry. This won't take long. I wanted to invite you to a...dinner of sorts."

Aurora furrowed her brows. "Like a date?"

Tommy quickly shook his head. "What? Oh, no. I wanted to invite you to my birthday dinner tonight."

Aurora finally understood. "Oh, uh. I would love to, but I'm filling in for somebody at work."

Tommy looked slightly nervous. "Well, you can come over after? I'm thinking we could start at eight."

Aurora swallowed and nodded. "Uh, yeah. I guess I can come over after, but I don't think I'll be able to stop and change."

Tommy waved his hand. "Don't worry. I'm sure Oliver can bring you something."

Aurora let out a smile. "It sounds fun. I'll try to leave a bit early if I can. I can text you when I'm on my way?"

Tommy quickly nodded. "Yeah, that's a good idea."

Aurora pulled her phone from her scrub pocket and Tommy quickly put his number into her phone.

Aurora looked down at the time on the device and cringed. "I'm sorry, I really have to get going. I'll see you tonight, though."

Aurora quickly skirted past Tommy and into John's car. Aurora watched Tommy fade into the distance as John drove her to work.

***

Aurora knocked on what she thought was the right apartment. She was still dressed in her scrubs and when Tommy answered the door, she suddenly felt out of place, but Tommy had a large smile on his face upon seeing her.

"Welcome."

Aurora smiled. "Happy birthday."

Tommy kept his smile. "Thank you."

"I'm sorry I wasn't able to bring you anything."

Tommy shook his head. "No, no. That's okay. Come in. Oliver has a dress for you."

Aurora slowly stepped into the apartment and glanced around. She shed her coat and her bag as Oliver came into the living area with a hanging dress bag in hand.

"As per Tommy's request." Oliver also held up some black heels.

Aurora let out a breath before she took the outfit into the bathroom and quickly changed into the dark blue dress.

The dress was simple. Spaghetti straps, sweetheart neckline and an A-line skirt. The black pumps made her three inches taller than her short stature. She kept her hair in her low bun and let out a breath. She stepped from the bathroom and back into the apartment.

The apartment was already in conversation and Aurora felt awkward once again. Oliver quickly came up to her side and introduced the company.

He gestured to a brunette in a red jumpsuit, "Aurora, this is Laurel Lance. She's been a family friend for years."