Malcolm Merlyn

Aurora was rushed. "Are you sure it looks okay?"

Thea was sitting on Aurora's bed as she did up her dress. The dress Aurora chose was a Maroon gown that reached the floor. The sleeves were mesh and decorated with rhinestones. The neckline made her bust look bigger than it was. Her hair was to one side in soft vintage waves and she wore crystal earrings to match the stones on her dress.

Thea let out a smile and a nod. "You look like a frickin' Disney princess."

Aurora looked into her full-length mirror and smoothed down the bodice of the dress. "It doesn't make me look too...easy, does it?"

"Easy?" Thea stood up, "Are you trying to impress someone at this Gala?"

Aurora turned to face her sister. "Uh...Yes?"

Thea sat on her hip and folded her arms. "Well? Who is it? Spill."

Aurora adjusted her sleeves. "Tommy."

Thea's eyes popped. "Tommy Merlyn is your date?"

Aurora nodded. "Yeah. Is that weird?"

Thea shook her head. "Nope. That surprisingly makes a whole lot of sense."

There was a knock on Aurora's door and Raisa popped her head in.

"Miss Aurora. Tommy is here."

Aurora was suddenly more nervous than she expected. "O-okay. Thanks."

Raisa left and Aurora looked to Thea with wide eyes. The younger sister let out a smile. "You look beautiful. Go enjoy the night."

Aurora let out a breath as she nodded her head. She walked from her room and to the foyer. Tommy was standing in the middle of the area as he adjusted his cuffs.

The moment he heard footsteps, he turned and saw Aurora. At first Tommy couldn't believe that it was Aurora, but as she descended the steps he let out a smile. He met her at the last step with his elbow out.

"You look beautiful."

Aurora's cheeks warmed and she looked up at him. "You look pretty dapper yourself."

Tommy let out a small chuckle. "Dapper. I like that."

Tommy led Aurora out of the Queen Mansion and into the limousine that took them to the Gala.

The duo entered the Gala a little fashionable late. Aurora had to reassure Tommy that she would be by his side the whole time. Aurora and Tommy slowly entered the Gala just as Malcolm started his speech. Aurora held onto Tommy's elbow, but Tommy held onto her hand. The contact was more for the son than for Aurora. Aurora noticed how tense Tommy was and she leaned over to him.

"Do you want to leave?"

Tommy shook his head. "Not yet."

Aurora patted Tommy's arm and looked up to Mr. Merlyn as he spoke.

"The true humanitarian in the Merlyn family was my Wife, Rebecca." Tommy let his head fall. "Many of you knew her. She tirelessly devoted herself to helping those less fortunate in the Glades. I like to think that if the men who murdered her knew her..." Aurora looked up at Tommy upon the revilement of how his mother died. "...knew the work that she did, knew the person that she was he would have helped her to her car, made sure she was safe instead of stealing her purse and shooting her."

Aurora let out a breath. Now she knew the whole story. Malcolm looked down at Tommy and the father and son shared a moment.

"The truth is, I haven't done enough for this city. My city. I failed it. But I promise you, I am not finished yet." Tommy let a smile light up his face. "I promise you that this city will be better for all of us. And on that day, I will look at this beautiful award and feel that I have earned it. I thank you."