2 - Ara's Story

Fade sat at the edge of the pavement, staring down at his bowl of money. As usual, people paid him no attention, and those who did ended up looking away as if glancing at him was a crime.

But he had learned early on that he shouldn't try to touch them, because they would shrug him off up, repulsion written on their faces.

He sighed, the sun beating down on him.

Ever since grandpa died Fade had lost all hope, because his grandfather was the one who always encouraged him and assured him that all circumstances would only last for a while. He also used to say that it was just a matter of time before they rose above their situation.

So far the only thing that rose was the old man's spirit out of his body.

Fade looked up and squinted, his hand reaching up to shield his eyes from the harsh rays of the sun.

It was then he noticed the girl from the other day coming down the street.

On instinct, he put his head back down as he didn't want her to catch him looking and cause another scene.

With his eyes cast downwards, he noticed after a while that someone's feet were now in his line of vision.

Fade glanced up, shielding his eyes once more as he tried to see who it was.

It was her.

He scoffed. What was she doing here? To wreck more havoc?

But on a closer look he saw a smile lighting up her face, joy radiating from her.

He raised an eyebrow.

Why was she smiling? Perhaps she came to mock him once again?

He'd just began to look around for her friends when she took him by surprise and sat down on the pavement beside him.

Fade looked at her with suspicion, wondering why she still kept that smile on her face. Didn't it hurt to keep smiling for that long?

"Hey." She spoke up, her voice gentle and soft unlike how it was the first time they met.

But he looked away and shifted from her.

Once more, Fade was surprised when she shifted closer to him. He moved away again, but she just moved closer to him still.

When he shifted away from her the third time and she still moved closer to him, he shook his head and stood up.

Then he picked up his bowl and with brisk steps walked back to the uncompleted building they called home. He rubbed his chest, glad to be rid of her.

What was she thinking anyway? Rude and insensitive one day; nice and caring on another.

Did she think he was a toy to be played with anytime she felt like?

Upon entering their home, he gathered Sewa into his arms, sat on the ground and leaned against the wall.

Closing his eyes, he hummed, thinking about how the money they got today wasn't enough to buy food for even one person.

He also thought about the covered up figure who was up the street again, always watching him. Whenever he made attempts to go towards the person to know his identity, the person would flee.

Who was he? Why was he always standing there? Why was the person always watching him?

In any case, he didn't have money to his name so it couldn't be that the person was stalking him because of wealth. Neither was he famous.

What then did the person want from him?

Deep in thoughts, it took a while for him to realize that it wasn't only him and his sister that were in the building.