7 - Ara's Story

Ara sat beside Fade's hospital bed, clutching his hand just like she had done for the past one and a half months since the night of the incident. Tears welled up in her eyes again, blurring her vision, before she wiped them away.

The doctors told her he could hear everything that was going on around him despite being in a coma, and she didn't want him to hear her crying.

She brought his hand to her face and held it there, the heat of her hands warming his cold ones.

Just like every other day, she prayed, and she prayed hard.

Jesus, please have mercy. Please wake him up. Please Jesus.

The tears that had pooled in her eyes now slid down her cheeks, a few droplets landing on his hand.

Jesus, please wake him up. Please!

She sobbed, forgetting that he could hear her despite the state he was in.

The impact on his skull by the roof was too severe, the doctors said.

It's a miracle he was still holding on, they said.

Because his spine was also was also hit, it's possible he might suffer from paralysis, they added.

Ara shook her head as these thoughts flooded her mind.

No! Never.

That will never happen.

Then all of a sudden, a Bible verse rose up in her spirit and she held unto it like a lifeline.

To Him who by means of His power working in us is able to do so much more than we can ever ask for, or even think of: to God be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus for all time, forever and ever! Amen.

She knew Jesus was able to heal Fade, and since she had already asked Jesus to heal him, she believed with the whole of her heart that He would do it even better than she'd asked and in an even more spectacular way than she'd imagined.

For He's the great physician that will perform the best surgery on him.

Despite how tears were still coursing down her face, she paid no attention to them and instead started to sing hymns in a small voice, all in a bid to lift her spirits and also for Fade, since he could hear her.

"The Great Physician now is near,
The sympathizing Jesus;
He speaks the drooping heart to cheer,
Oh, hear the voice of Jesus!"

Ara sniffled, her hand still clasping his unmoving one. Her lips quivered, but she continued singing.

"Sweetest note in seraph song;
Sweetest name on mortal tongue;
Sweetest carol ever sung:
Jesus, blessed Jesus!"

When she was done, she felt it impressed upon her heart to sing another, so she began in a soft voice.

"Jesus loves you this I know
For the Bible tells me so
Little ones to Him belong
They are weak but He is strong.

"Yes, Jesus loves you
Yes, Jesus loves you
Yes Jesus loves you,
for the Bible tells me so."

The song died down, and she continued gazing at him, memories of their short time together flashing though her mind.

After sometime she had to leave because visiting hours were over. She packed her phone, her wallet and her Bible that she used to read to him everyday back into her bag before heading home, all the while whispering prayers for her best friend, Fade.