4 - Ara's Story

"What happened next?" Fade asked, scooting closer to her.

"They got closer and closer and closer and–"

"How much closer?!" Tooni cut in.

"Well, as close as possible." She said.

"Over the weeks, Fade and Ara got to know each other better. Also, her father came back from the ministerial conference. Okay, sorry, he got back before they became really close. Dipo also apologized for the way he behaved, and the next thing..."

________________

Ara, Fade, Dami and Dipo stood in front of Ara's grandmother's home, fear written all over Ara and the twins' faces while Fade stood still, wondering why they looked so scared.

"Are you sure she's in there?" Dami asked after Ara knocked for the umpteenth time.

"Mum said she would be. Maybe I should call–" Ara was saying when the door creaked open and a face appeared.

"Grandma, good morning." Ara greeted, a smile on her face.

But her grandmother just stared at her with a pointed look till Ara got down on her knees and greeted her in the customary way of the Yorubas. Dami also knelt down while Dipo and Fade prostrated.

Grandma Adesanya nodded in satisfaction, before motioning them in with a wave of her hand. After they all entered, Grandma sat on her couch and looked at them.

"So you decided to come today. After I'd sent for you since three weeks ago. Eku ise. Just so you know, I have my list ready."

<<Eku ise means "well done". But Grandma here meant it in a sarcastic way>>

Ara and the twins groaned, and Fade couldn't help but wonder why. That is, until he saw the long list of chores she wanted them to do.

Ara and the twins already knew what they were getting into when Grandmother asked her daughter-in-law, Nifemi, to send Ara and the twins for the visit. But poor Fade had no idea, and Ara started to feel guilty for bringing him along.

After looking through the list, the three of them choose what they would do. Dami chose to scrub the three bathrooms, toilets and sinks, and to also wipe all the windows and mirrors in the house. Ara volunteered to clean the kitchen, the three bedrooms, to wash clothes and to cook afterwards.

Dara was to fix the roof, mow the lawn, clean the garage and wash her car even though Grandma Adesanya never drove it around anymore.

There wasn't anything left, so Ara asked Fade if he would join one of them, although she hoped he'll choose to work with her. They had been getting closer over the past few weeks and she enjoyed his company.

Fade reigned nonchalance as he glanced at the three of them and ended up choosing Ara, even though there was no other person he would have liked to work with.

Dipo sneered, not attempting to hide the fact that he didn't like Fade. On the other hand Dami always looked too terrified to talk to him, probably because of the bossiness of her twin brother.

They all separated and went to carry out their respective duties.

Ara and Fade also went into her grandmother's room and began their work.

They dusted and arranged things, silence reigning between them, until Fade called her attention to a picture frame he held in his hands.

"Ara?"

"Yeah?"

Sweat trickled down her face to her neck, plastering her hair. She wiped her face with the back of her hand, rubbing dust on her cheek in the process.