15 - Fade's Story

Anike leaned against the wall, one ankle crossed over the other as she watched Ara and Fade. They both lay on hospital beds, IV drips connected to their hands and oxygen masks helping them breathe.

Their chests rose and fell in discord, his rising while hers fell, and when hers rose his fell.

She wiped her brow and looked out the window, wishing she hadn't left them to go chase after those men. At least she would have been able to fight off her dad and stop him from injuring them.

Her phone vibrated, making her jump and place her hand over her pocket as if to silence it.

Whipping it out, she swiped the call button and placed it to her ear.

"Hello?"

"How are they?"

Her heart warmed at hearing Tooni's voice. She sighed and glanced at them, their bruises standing out against their pasty skin.

"Not good." She said.

"It's fine. We'll keep praying." Then his tone softened. "How are you holding up?"

"Fine."

"Anike." His voice came out gentle, as if imploring her to tell him the truth.

"Okay. I'm not fine."

"I understand."

"No Tooni, you don't. I left them. If I had stayed, maybe it wouldn't have been this bad. Here they are lying unconscious, barely alive, fighting to live, because I didn't stay to help them. If I-"

"Babe, it's not your fault. I also wish I was there, but I wasn't. Besides, they were capable of taking of themselves. I'm worried about them too, but we'll keep praying. It wasn't you that made them like this, remember."

"But my Dad did, and it feels like I was the one who did it."

"But you're not your Dad, and he's not you. He's done a lot of evil things, and you shouldn't feel responsible for his deeds."

"I do."

Tooni exhaled, not knowing what else to say. "I'm so sorry. Should I come over to give you a hug?"

A hint of a smile graced her face. "I wish."

"Really?"

"Yeah."

"Then why don't you open the door and receive that hug?"

"What? No way. Are you outside?"

He chuckled.

Anike flew to the door and flung it open, her eyes dimming when she saw no one around.

"Tooni, I can't see you."

Her eyes scanned the corridor once more.

He chuckled. "That's because I'm not there. I just did it to make you smile. I hope it worked."

She rolled her eyes and stepped back into the room. "You're not normal. I'm hanging up."

"Wait, I'm sor-"

She pressed the end call button and slipped her phone into her pocket.

"Sorry my foot. When Ara awakens I'm telling her all about this." She said into the silent room.

"All about what?"

Anike's eyes snapped to the direction of the voice. She placed a hand over her voice to muffle a gasp.

"Ara?"

Ara groaned and tried to sit up but is restrained by the wires and oxygen mask.

"What happened?" She asked Anike who rushed to her bedside.