8 - Ara's Story

Fade bit down on an apple, his eyes glued to the tv as he watched a movie with Tooni. He was alright, and didn't have to go for checkups anymore.

Also, over the past few weeks, he had gotten closer to Tooni who now treated him like a younger brother. Soon, the movie ended and both of them lounged on the couches, lost in their own thoughts.

"Hey Fade?" Tooni called out.

"Yes?"

"Do you know Ara's birthday is next week?"

"What? How come?"

Tooni raised an eyebrow, the corners of his lips curved upwards in amusement.

"How come her birthday is next week?"

Fade nodded, still shocked.

"Well, you see, on that day my mum's water broke and she had to be taken–"

"Okay, I get you." Fade said, disgust sweeping across his face.

A grin spread across Tooni's face. He really enjoyed Fade's company because the boy was so easy to tease and always made him laugh.

Fade sat in silence for a few minutes, before bursting out, startling Tooni.

"I know it! I know what to get for her birthday!"

At first Tooni stared at him as if he had lost his marbles, then he shook his head before muttering, "Whipped."

____________________

Fade desired to get a gift for Ara. That was the least he could do after everything she had done for him. He considered it as a thank you gift to her, his way of showing how grateful he felt.

He didn't have a job and had now resumed school, so he wondered how he would ever get enough money to buy her a gift.

On speaking to Tooni about it, he was informed that he could do menial jobs that could earn him cash in a week. Based on this advice, he went round the neighborhood asking people if they needed help with anything.

While some turned him down, others yelled at him to get off their property, and yet some others smiled at him and assigned him a few duties, paying him afterwards.

In all, Fade mowed five lawns, washed three cars, babysat once and cleaned two garages. At the end of the week, he was able to gather sufficient money for the gift.

With joy in his heart, he went to a shop and bought her a gift.

He stared down at it, a huge grin plastered on his face. Then he placed it into his pocket, whistling as he walked back home.

________________

"Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you Ara, Happy Birthday to you."

Everyone sang and then winced as they heard Tooni belt out the lyrics off-key.

Ara beamed, her blue dress swaying as she moved.

"Thank you so much everyone. I feel so honored to have you as my family and friends. I love you all, and I wanna say thanks for loving me back despite my imperfections. Also, I–"

"Alright, alright. Wrap it up." Tooni called out.

She glared at him, but nonetheless heeded to his words.

"Thank you once again. God bless you."

"My baby!" Her mother threw her arms round Ara. "I'm so happy! On this day seventeen years ago, I was wheeled into the labour room and–"