13 - Fade's Story

"Ara." Anike tapped her. "Wake up."

She stirred, but ended up falling back asleep.

Anike shook her. "Wake up, Ara. It's time for breakfast."

After two more attempts Ara opened her eyes and stared up at Anike. She rubbed her eyes and sat up, before stretching out her arms as a yawn escaped her mouth.

"What time is it?" She asked, her voice groggy.

Anike smiled.

"It's time to eat." Then she sat on the bed. "By the way, Fade has been behaving a bit strange since yesterday night after he dropped you off on your bed. Perhaps, did something happen between you two?"

Ara shook her head, confusion crossing her face. "Nope. I don't even remember him bringing me here or anything like that."

Anike looked thoughtful. "Maybe it's something else then."

"Yeah. Maybe." Ara yawned again.

She got up from her bed and looked down at her nightgown, a slight frown settling on her face when she saw her bedside drawer open.

"Did you open my drawer?" She asked Anike who was now lying face up on the bed.

"No. Why?"

"It's a little bit open." She said, racking her brain to see if she was the one who opened it and didn't close it back.

Anike sat up. "What?"

"Yeah. Although I can't remember opening it." Ara shrugged. "It was most likely me anyway."

Anike cocked an eyebrow. "Is there anything of importance there?"

"Hmm." Ara searched her mind. "Apart from a picture, I didn't put anything else there."

"Picture? What picture would that be?"

Ara bent and started to open the drawer, noticing that the picture remained the way she used to place it. "A picture of Fade and I–"

She faltered, her eyes widening. She looked at Anike who had the exact expression on her face.

"Oh no." Anike whispered. "Remember how I told you that he's been behaving weird since last night after he carried you to your room?"

Ara nodded, her heart thundering in her chest. She shut her eyes and swallowed. "Please...please don't tell me he saw it."

Anike sighed and stood up. She placed her hand on Ara's shoulder. "I'm sorry. But the truth is bound to come out one day. Don't you think it's about time you told him everything?"

Ara's eyes shot open and she shook her head. "Never. It's better he doesn't know."

"Why not?" Anike's tone was gentle.

Ara half-laughed. "So that what? He could reject me again?"

"Ara."

"Leave me alone!" Ara snapped. "Don't preach to me about telling the truth, when you're not doing the same."

"What are you talking about?" Anike asked in puzzlement, folding her arms.

"How about telling the others that you're dating my brother?"

Anike took a step back, surprised at the force in Ara's tone. "I have no obligation to tell others about my private life."

"Exactly." Ara said before going straight into the bathroom and slamming the door with a little more force than necessary.

Anike watched the closed door with a dumbfounded expression. Why was Ara so against it anyway?

He would find out one day or another. Why not today? And wouldn't it be better if she was the one that told him instead of him hearing it from someone else?