15 - Tooni's Story

Several months later, a birthday feast was held for Ara.

Although she had protested against it, her brother would hear none of it, saying that it was also a thank you celebration for her acts of bravery.

She corrected him by reminding him that it was Fade's bravery that helped them all, and by doing this her mind would drift to him once again.

The day of the celebration had arrived and Ara felt lethargic about it. However, she didn't want to sadden her brother who had gone to great lengths to make preparations for the feast.

Even her cousin, Queen Isua Eno had come, arriving two days early so that they could spend sometime together.

She also brought her baby boy, Prince Akpan whom Ara loved spending time with.

The bata drums were beating, calling her to dance but she wasn't interested. Her brother sat on a golden throne with two lion heads as armrests.

Meanwhile, she and her mother were sitting on silver thrones embedded with precious stones that glinted under the strung up lights.

While her brother wore a light blue buba and sokoto under a blue agbada, her mother and Feyi wore a white sequined iro and buba. She on the other hand wore a burgundy iro and buba, with ileke adoring their necks, wrists and ankles. The four of them wore beaded crowns on their heads, but King Tooni's own was the most magnificent. Nifemi's own came next, then Ara and Feyi's were quite identical.

<<Buba is a traditional top worn by both men and women in Yoruba land. Sokoto is traditional trousers worn by men and iro is wrapper worn by women. Agbada is an additional piece of clothing worn by men over their buba and sokoto>>

Ara stared at the performers who wiggled and jiggled, all with a smiles on their faces while sweat glinted on their chocolate coloured skin.

Then she let her eyes roam the arena, before letting them come back to rest on the performers.

"I'm going to my room." She said to her brother who looked unhappy about it.

"Why?"

"Tooni, I'm sorry but I don't have the heart to enjoy all these now."

He raised an eyebrow and tapped his finger against the head of a lion. "Because you're still pining after Prince Fade?"

Her face fell.

"Ara." Her brother sighed. "I know the Prince is a good man, but you waiting for him for this long is not sitting well with me. A man shouldn't keep his woman waiting for too long, lest her heart wanders."

"My heart won't wander." She said, her eyes blazing with determination. "I'll take my leave now."

"The Aremo of the Ooni of Ile-Ife. Second to the throne, first in skill and eloquence."

<<Aremo means first born son>>

"Too handsome to be beheld, too wealthy to be spoken about. Our very own legend who took pity on us and decided to come live among us.

"Make way, pay homage, for Prince Bowofade has decided to grace us all with his magnificent presence."

The festivities screeched to a halt as the presence of the Crown Prince of Ife was announced by the herald. Then like a park of cards, everyone dropped to their knees one after the other till it remained the royals who wouldn't have to kneel before Prince Fade.

Ara stood still, watching in astonishment and as her beloved approached till he was right before her.

He smiled down at her, his eyes shining with warmth and love. "I kept my promise."