4 - Fade's Story

It had clocked one in the morning, but Fade was yet to sleep. He lay on his bed while his eyes stared at the ceiling. He just couldn't stop thinking about the girl he'd met a few hours back.

For the billionth time, his mind wandered back to that day a year ago.

"Goodbye."

Her voice came out soft, so soft that Fade didn't quite catch what she said. But he'd heard it alright.

His eyes widened as she released her hold on the railing and then gave herself over to the wind, letting it push her backwards.

Fade sprang forward, his heart pounding as his fingers brushed against hers. He stretched further, his hand wrapping round the iron bars in the railing as he caught her and clutched her hand.

The wind tousled her clothes as she dangled in the air, several strands of hair sticking to her face because of the tears coursing down.

"Let me go. Please."

Fade gritted his teeth, the effort of supporting her weight with only one hand making his arm ache.

"Never."

"Let me go." She struggled against him, but he refused to heed to her words.

"No. Give me your other hand."

"Why? Why are doing all this? Just let me go!

His eyes searched hers. "You're worth beyond a billion reasons why."

She choked on a sob.

"I can't live like this. I'm lost."

Fade drew in a breath, his hand burning. "Then don't. Don't live like this. Live a better life, different from this one. Find yourself, and live life to the fullest."

More tears spilled down her cheeks, but she didn't reply.

Fade stretched out his other hand to her, offering a lifeline.

She hesitated at first, pondering on his words. Although it seemed like a lifetime, it was only seconds later when she reached up and grasped his hand.

Clenching his teeth, he leaned back and drew her up with all his might. Her body slammed against his, both of them falling to the floor.

Fade took in deep breaths to calm himself.

That was too close.

She was still crying hard, so he wrapped his arms round her and hugged her. His chest rumbled against her cheek as he patted her back and said,

"There is always something to live for. Always."

Fade turned to his side, his eyes landing on the bedside light that gave out a soft glow.

It was the room assigned to him by the first lady after they arrived. She wanted them to be close to her daughter, so their rooms were beside hers.

It didn't take long for them to settle in since they all packed light. Fade called his Dad to inform him that they had reached the Villa. Soon afterwards, dinner was served and they had trudged downstairs.

When they got downstairs, the first lady and her daughter were already seated.

"Take a seat agents." The first lady said, motioning to the empty chairs.

"What are your names?" She asked after they were seated and the kitchen staff began serving the food.

"I'm Fade, Ma." Fade said.