5 - Fade's Story

Fade's eyes scanned the surrounding as he walked round the perimeter of the Villa. He was checking for anything that might seem suspicious, and also to be familiar with his surroundings.

He rolled his shoulders. He hadn't gotten a wink of sleep last night, more so after the episode with Ara.

But then, he was used to not sleeping at night sometimes. Even if he slept, it wasn't deep.

He rubbed his eyes and let out a yawn, having not really rested since yesterday. First, he was teaching a class, next he was on a plane to Abuja, then afterwards he was guarding a girl.

A girl who, might he had, seems to be suffering from more things than he'd expected.

Does she have nightmares every night? Was it because of that day or because of something else, or even both? Or maybe more?

He checked his wristwatch. 2:16pm.

Good. He had been out for about three hours now.

Making his way back into the house, he saw Anike standing at the fountain, her eyes staring off into the distance.

He contemplated on whether to act like he didn't see her or to walk up to her and talk to her. Eventually, he decided to go talk to her.

"Hey."

She didn't look up.

"Hey?" He asked, feeling awkward now.

"What do you want?" She snapped.

Fade's eyes narrowed at her outburst. "Can't I just want to talk to my teammate?"

"I'm not your teammate." She said, before standing up and brushing nonexistent dust off her jeans.

"Anike."

"It's Agent 62 to you." She glared at him, with Fade left to watch her retreating back as she left.

Seriously? What's wrong with her?

Pushing the incident to the back of his mind, he made his way into the house where he saw Dipo and Dami standing at strategic points in the huge living room while Ara watched TV.

"Well done Agents." He greeted them.

They nodded in response, their hands behind their backs.

"Hey you." Ara called, and Fade turned to look at her.

"Yes?"

"Come here."

Fade was taken aback, and he looked around to see if perhaps she was talking to another person. "Me?"

"Yes, you."

He moved over to where she sat, his thumbs hooked through the loops on the waistband of his jeans.

"Sit down." She ordered again when he'd gotten close enough.

"Excuse me?"

She glanced at him, before fixing her eyes back to the tv.

"I said, sit."

Dami and Dipo exchanged glances, wondering what was going on.

Fade took a seat beside her, leaving a respectable distance in between.

"What were you doing in my room yesterday night?"

Fade shot off the couch. "What?"

"Do I need to repeat myself?"

Fade straightened, clearing his throat. "I was standing guard in front of your room when I heard a crash and I entered to check what was happening."