2 - Tooni's Story

Fade stood leaning against the door of his cabin as the conversation he'd heard from the two females inside raced through his mind.

Whilst Sewa had prattled out their  genealogy, the other girl hadn't mentioned except for her name and age.

"Your Highness?"

Fade jerked, then coughed into his fist to hide his embarrassment at been caught eavesdropping.

Clearing his throat, he whirled around and addressed the person who had just called him.

"Yes?"

The boy gulped and stepped back, before averting his eyes.

"Dinner's ready, Your Highness."

"Thank you, Saheed." Fade said waved the boy away.

Scratching his head, Fade glanced at the setting sun. He had been standing here for so long he didn't realize the sun was vanishing into the horizon, ushering in the dark hours of the night.

Turning back around, he opened the door of the cabin and stepped inside.

His eyes found the two girls sleeping on his bed, Sewa's head on Ara bosom while the older girl wrapped her arms round the little one's torso.

Fade could feel his heart melting as he took in the sight.

He didn't care that she wore clothes that spoke volumes of her poverty, or how dirty her skin was due to all the rigorous labour she looked like she'd done. Neither was he concerned about the callouses that filled her palms, something he'd noticed as he questioned her.

There was only one thing he was wary about, and it was her undisclosed identity. He knew that things like that always caused trouble down the road, but for now he didn't want to think about it.

His lips curved upwards in a smile, as he gazed at them.

"I'm glad you've found a friend, my baby girl." He whispered into the silence.

One that could keep her company, since he was always busy and no one else on the ship cared much for her.

He would let Ara stay because of his sister. His motives for keeping her around were based on selfish reasons, he couldn't deny that.

Smoothing back Sewa's hair, he watched them a bit longer before waking them up.

Stirring, they both looked up at him with red rimmed eyes and he had to bite his tongue to hold back his laughter.

"Dinner is ready."

__________________

"Yours."

A lady said as she slammed the bowl of food down on the table in front of Ara, little bits flying from the food and landing on her face and chest.

"Anike." Fade said, his tone one of warning as he stared at the lady.

She huffed, turned around and left to serve others.

Ara cast her eyes down to her food, unable to stand the gazes of the sailors as they spoke in hushed tones about her. She scooped the food into her mouth and ate as fast as she could before rising to her feet and fleeing to the cabin.

Sewa picked up her food and followed her friend, her feet slapping the ground as she skipped after Ara.

Ara knew that this was Fade's room, but she had no where else to go. She sat on the floor and rested her head against the wall before closing her eyes.

"Ara?" Sewa called, her bowl of food lopsided.

Are opened her eyes and smiled at the little girl. "Yes?"