Eight

Nothing important goes on until the time to leave the ranch arrives. We're finally leaving for Las Vegas. Eleanor escorts us outside with a sad look. Julian and Peter fill our bags inside the van, as the rest of us exchange words.

"Have fun, everyone, but make sure to return in one piece. I won't need anyone cripple for the wedding just because they got drunk and missed a step," Eleanor states, making Sam, Roshni, and I laugh heartily.

"Are you talking about me? Because that's kind of Deja vu," Sam says matter-of-factly.

"Oh, you better not, huh?" Eleanor remarks. Patting Sam's belly, she whispers, "No drinking for you, Missy."

"Yes, ma'am." Sam grins.

"Roshni, I hope to see you soon for the wedding. Just to be clear, the doors to this house are always open for you," Eleanor tells the half-Indian and shares a soft hug with her.

"Thanks, Eleanor. You're very kind," she replies.

Eleanor strides toward Liam. "Son, before I forget." She engages herself into a small talk with her son and I get busy having a moment with my girls until she calls me.

"Yes?" I stride over, joining her and Liam.

"Nothing much, dear. Enjoy your moment as a single lady because you'll once in a while miss it," Eleanor tells me, and at the corner of my eye I detect Liam frowning.

I laugh at him. "I surely will, Eleanor. Stay safe." We hug and it's always my pleasure.

"Take care, Mother. I love you," Liam murmurs as he pulls her into his big arms.

"I love you more, baby." Eleanor smiles proudly.

"No, not that name please," Liam laments with a frown. I burst into laughter, watching them having a loving moment.

"But you'll always be my baby, Liam Darcy!" Eleanor purrs.

"Oh God." Liam smiles while giving her a resigned glance, flushed with joy.

***

"I think I'm going to sleep throughout this flight. Damn, I'm beginning to forget myself lately," Sam laments while rummaging through her handbag. We're all settled inside a private jet—small and luxurious—and I'm currently making sure all is well with my friend.

"Don't worry too much. They say the first three months are the most weird. I think the body is trying to accept changes, so you'll get used to it later," I reply, watching her with a fond smile.

I feel like I desire to be in her place, deep inside. I want to be pregnant, too.

"Yeah, right. Let's wait until it's your turn and see if you'll have the same nonchalant look like the one my doctor gives me." Sam sighs heavily, throwing the bag aside after fetching her mobile and earphones. I chuckle at that. "Go back to your cowboy. I'll be fine over here."

"Okay, call me if you need anything." I get up right away, my body a little stiff and tired. I hardly slept these past three days—perhaps that's why.

"I doubt I'll need you, but someone surely needs you over there." Sam eyes Liam, whose head is tilted to the side as though he is bored to death. "Wake me when we land," she adds and I nod.

I head back toward Liam, passing by Malik and Roshni who are surprisingly laughing together, sharing the same seat. Woah, am I missing something here? I'm honestly surprised by this; not that it's strange seeing two people having a conversation, but coming from these two it's indeed strange.

It's like they couldn't stand each other just a night ago. I smile to myself.

"Do you see what I'm seeing?" I plop into my seat near the window.