Fifty-seven

A number of shopping bags lay on the bed. Smiling at my flushed face, a patent success of his efforts to ease my anxiety, Liam tugs at his scarf and shuts our bedroom door. I smile back while taking off my boots, feeling happy and positive.

The day has turned out splendid despite the odds, and for that I'm grateful. A deep, audible sigh accompanies the slump on the bed as I sit down, physically exhausted but mentally energetic. Liam strides in, his eyes focused on mine.

"Tired?" he asks.

"Shopping is always tiring," I utter with all honesty.

It forever wears me off.

"I think I agree, and I never liked shopping before," Liam replies.

"Really?" I get up so I can take my clothes off. "Do you, now?" I shrug out of my blazer.

The room is warm enough and I know what else can add more to that.

"Very much." Liam strides over toward me, a playful smile on his lips. "I love watching you trying the clothes, and kissing you in the fitting room when you need my help to zip your dress. Oh, it always takes me back in time." He holds me close against his chest while kissing the hollow of my neck.

I giggle. "You mean . . . back in Montana when you barged in your mother's boutique and found me all alone in the fitting room? Oh, you were so crazy for me, Mr. Darcy, weren't you?" I let myself melt in his embrace, and his soft laughter is quite a sweet melody to my ears.

"Crazy for you? You wish, Mrs. Darcy!" he mutters over a kiss on my shoulder and I laugh loudly.

"Oh, so you are saying weren't nuts over me?" I quiz.

I know he was, and I was crazy for him, too. Ah, those were some sweet golden days!

"I probably was, but not as much as you believe," Liam says bluntly, but I can feel the lying undertone in his voice.

"Oh yeah? But my memory keeps telling me that you kept finding for every chance in the world to create a tryst between us. Whether it was in the library, or in the barn, or even in my bedroom at night, you always found a way to corner me in your territory," I murmur and it gets extremely difficult to smother a laugh.

Laughing, Liam wants to argue but a phone buzz interrupts him. "Hold on," he says, impelling me to move away from him as he searches for it in his jeans pocket. "It's Malik."

"I guess it's about work matters?" I probe. "I'll take these bags away from here." I proceed with my task and leave him to his call.

Alone in the dressing room I get the chance to contemplate about our doctor's visit today. Slowly I start unpacking, thinking of the treatment I'm about to start tomorrow.

"It'll be fine, Kira Jones," I breathe.

A moment later I step out of the dressing room.

"I have to travel tomorrow," Liam tells me as soon as I get back into the bedroom. I stare at him without a word, surprised. "Malik just called me. He was supposed to fly to Munich this evening but he's got an emergency. Roshni is going back to Australia."

"Okay, wait!" I stop him, for I hardly understand anything he says. "Maybe we should start with your trip and then you can tell me about Roshni. So what's it about and when are you going?" I saunter toward the bed and we both sit down.

Liam takes a soft breath. "I have to be in Munich by tomorrow. There's an important deal to seal and it can't wait," he replies.

"I see." As unpleasant as this news may be, I still have to be understanding. And what about Roshni? Why is she going back to Australia?"