Five

"Kira, wake up." Liam shakes me gently and his voice sounds quite distant. "Kira," he calls, but I'm too sleepy to move a muscle.

Can't he let me sleep more? Damn, last night was exhausting.

"Not now, Liam!" I complain, clinging tightly onto the grey duvet as though my life depends on it.

Liam chuckles softly. "Come on, baby. Don't you want to ride a horse?" He's evidently enjoying the sight of my petite body wriggling on the bed like an earthworm.

I don't want to wake up.

"No, I'm sleepy," I reply groggily, eyes still shut.

"Fine, I'll let you sleep, Ms. Jones." Liam sighs heavily, and by the sound of it I believe he's sitting down beside me, disappointed. "In the meantime, I'll go riding all by myself. And maybe . . . just maybe, sell off the horse I bought for you," he mumbles.

A horse? Did I hear a horse he's bought for me? My eyes flash wide open.

"What did you say?" I bolt up like a hurricane, searching for his face. "A horse? For me?" My eyes are dry and wide, no trace of sleep on them.

Just great!

"I won't tell, unless you divorce that bed," Liam stipulates with a stifled laugh, highly entranced by my reaction. "Get up, my love. I want to go with you." He's so sweet as he kisses my lips gently.

"You're crazy." I laugh at his stupid remark and unwrap the covers off my body. Thinking of the horse, I immediately clamber out of bed. "Let me bundle up. I'm sure it's cold outside." I return Liam a swift kiss on his lips and slip toward the bathroom.

"I'll be in the stables. Don't take long," Liam says loudly.

"Okay." Excitement is evident in my voice. I love riding a horse, and it's funny that I don't even know how to do it. "Well, Kira Jones, let's get ready for your first." I smile at myself in the bathroom mirror before doing my Business.

Dressed in a black jeans and Liam's white hoodie, I tie up the laces of my red espadrilles that feel like socks—quite comfortable. I exit through the door while tying my curls into a messy bun. The house is in pin-drop silence when I pass in the hallway, making my way downstairs.

I'm super excited for this day.

It's almost eight, but the mountainous fog makes it look like six in the morning when I step outside. I don't see anyone—I guess they're still sleeping. I head straight to the stables where I'm supposed to meet my fiancé. Has he really bought me a horse? I'm reeling inside at the grand possibility.

Peter and Liam are in the barn as I approach. They look serious, intently discussing something.

"Is he okay now?" Liam asks Peter while inspecting his favorite horse—Charlie—an amazing brown stallion.

"Yes, but it's best if he rests for a couple of days," Peter replies expertly, both facing Charlie from a step or two away.

"Morning, Peter," I greet them upon getting closer. The scent of horse, dry grass, and a bit of manure wafts in my nose, the chilly air dispersing it as fast as it comes.

I still love everything about this place. Sometimes I think I'm more of a country girl than a big city woman.

"Morning, Ms. Kira," Peter replies with a reverent smile, looking back at me.

He's always well-mannered. He never ceases to amaze me. I walk toward Liam and stand outside, the fence between us.

"Again with Ms. Kira?" I purse my lips at the formality. Peter laughs shyly and proceeds with his task inside the barn. "Well . . . fine. Let's go with that." The last thing I want is to make the poor guy uncomfortable, so I give up trying to make him use my first name.