Sixty-six

Every corner of London sparkles in the name of Christmas. The streets are adorned with twinkling lights, seemingly brighter than the starry night if the sun disappears. I can't stop grinning as we ride smoothly to Central London for dinner.

"Mmm, it's so beautiful being out here," I murmur before catching a long breath of vigor, shifting my attention back to my husband. "Eleanor says we should have the new year celebration at your old house. It looks like she really misses being there."

"Me, too," Liam replies after a few moments of thoughtfulness. Nostalgia flits across his face as he smiles indulgently at me. "It was spectacular. I miss the times she was with father and that smile she wore all the times he'd tease her. Sometimes I feel like she's trying too hard to repress her grief just not to hurt me."

I think I believe him.

"How long since he passed?" I ask softly.

Liam's lips harden. "Over a year now," he answers anyway.

My God, it's not that long. Now I can understand why it's still a sensitive subject for both Liam and his mother. They hardly talk about the late Mr. Darcy, but it's evident how much they cherish his memory. I feel the love they both had for him and it's palpable.

I honestly want to hear more about him. I wish to at least know what kind of a man he was, as a father to Liam, as a husband to Eleanor, and just as a human being with an exceptional heart. He took my husband as his own son, after all, and that is very noble.

"We're here," Liam announces coolly as we arrive at the restaurant.

"I see." My eyes wander outside through the window.

Even though it's cold, nobody seems bothered by the claws of winter. So many people are buzzing around the area, walking in pairs, groups, or solo, and their smiles feel like the warmth they all feel during this season.

We head inside the restaurant and it appears that we already have a reservation. The maître d' leads us to our table straight away. A fireplace, soft music in the background, and the terrific smell of food draw my best grin as we slowly take a seat.

The place feels intimate, cozy, and warm, but the elegance embedded in its vintage interiors explains why most people here look ritzy. We order our food and wine, in which I'm allowed to have a small amount from time to time so as to not affect the medication.

And today is decidedly that day where I can have at least a half a glass.

"You're going to finish everything, Kira." Liam slides the plate of well-sliced steak he's just done for me. "Including this velvet cake you've been talking about the whole way here." He slides another plate of dessert.

"Gosh! All of this?" I blink at the sight.

Liam nods. "That's what you get for skipping lunch, Mrs. Darcy. Your health is important and it seems like I have another task in my already busy schedule of reminding you about that."

I chuckle, not knowing how else to respond. "I see we're back to Mr. Intense mode?" I take a bite of my stake.

"You bet we are." Liam smirks and I purse my lips at him. "If you finish everything I'll take you to a movie."

"Really?" Like a child I nearly bounce up and down from excitement.

"Yes, Kira." Liam chuckles at my reaction, taking a bite of his steak unhurriedly. "And we can go ice skating afterwards. If time allows."

Ice-skating, too? Woah!

"Alright. I'm wiping everything!" I say urgently, and our meal goes on in such a style, between talking and teasing each other.