Sixty-seven

It's Christmas today. My most favorite festival of the year.

Last night went rather beautifully on my date with Liam. Even though his step grandmother attempted to spoil our plans, we still managed to put the encounter at bay and enjoyed our movie date, followed by another round of ice-skating.

It was the best Christmas Eve I've had in years, and I hope there'll be many more to come. Aside from that, Liam and I had the pleasure of dropping by at Westminster Abbey and said our thanks during the mass.

Honestly, it's been ages since I last stepped foot in the church.

"Merry Christmas, family!" I announce loudly as I'm the last one wake up this morning.

"Merry Christmas!" Collective voices respond.

The house is in a beautiful chaos today. I gather that everyone looks jubilant as they sit down for breakfast, and the table is utterly inviting with so many bites.

"How was your night, honey?" Eleanor asks me with a bright smile, still wearing her comfy pajamas.

"Great! I overslept." I chuckle, and suddenly two kids run past me while giggling loudly.

I swear I can feel the joy in the air. How many people are here today? On the breakfast table I see Eleanor, Mrs. Prescott, and Lisa who's serving croissants on the plates. And these kids? They run again, back to the living room.

And suddenly my husband appears with a phone in his ear, talking to someone while holding a coffee mug. Beside him is Malik, who grabs the phone from Liam and takes over the conversation.

They smile at me. I smile back, softly and stunned.

And again, the kids? They run again, urging Lisa to pause whatever she's doing so as to stop them from making a ruckus in the kitchen. Wow! This surely feels like a family home today and I certainly love it.

"They're my grandkids. I swear they'll give me a heart attack before the day ends," says Mrs. Prescott upon seeing my stunned look.

"Oh, I see. They're energetic," I reply and slowly pull a seat for myself.

What a lovely morning!

"We're still discussing the menu. Any ideas? I had a few suggestions but I'd like to hear about yours," Eleanor tells me over breakfast, and with everything going on, I no longer see Malik and Liam around.

Wonderful!

"Well, we can go with anything! You're an amazing cook, Eleanor, and I don't think your choice can be questionable," I reply and she laughs softly. "Are we expecting guests?" I pour myself some milk in a glass.

"Yeah. A few friends may drop by," she replies, and from this we decide to recheck the menu before we start preparing for lunch.

Liam corners me behind the kitchen door and whispers, "Merry Christmas, Gorgeous. Did I mention how much I love you today?"

"Not really." I giggle, embracing the warmth of his back hug and kisses on my neck. "But you still have time to make amends, Handsome."

"Mmm, don't I fancy it when you act all naughty!" Liam says spin me around. Another giggle lurches from my mouth as we face each other. "I seriously love you, Mrs. Darcy." His voice becomes gentle and deep, and his eyes shine brightly.

"And I you, Mr. Darcy. Merry Christmas," I whisper while leaning closer to his face. 

He smiles. He strokes my hair, holding the back of my neck with his other hand. Our lips meet and slowly we share a kiss, long and deep, until someone interrupts with a yelp of shock.