Twenty-nine

A soothing voice of Shania Twain, singing about 'From this moment' is on the air. The garden is decorated in a traditional romantic theme, a number of string golden lights embellished on the trees around. Candles, flowers, glasses, bottles of champagne, silverware and plates are placed on the round tables.

Everything looks exquisite.

Me, Liam, and our friends are seated at the same table, chatting and laughing while enjoying my favorite part of any party—the food. The smell of people's perfumes is replaced by the delicious aroma of lobster and mashed potato, chicken and beef barbeque, salad and other varieties in the menu.

"I think I've put too much on my plate. Care for some chicken breast, Lightness?" Malik teases Roshni as he sits down next to her, carrying a plate full of food.

They've been on and off the whole evening. I'm no longer surprised, however. They're like Tom and Jerry—very adorable.

"I won't mind," she replies. "I'm not one of those salad-eating chicks, you know."

Everyone bursts into laughter, including Amelia who's seated between me and Roshni. Excluding ourselves from the food story, my redhead neighbor and I indulge in our own conversation as a way to catch up with the time we've been apart.

Oh, I miss L.A. My little home, Venice, will forever keep a part of me.

"Why was your phone off?" I ask Amelia, while chewing the tender steak accompanied with a red wine.

Hmm, I was starving and I didn't even notice until now.

"Oh, dear," Amelia utters, sighing. After drinking some water, she continues. "I'm not sure if it's your luck, or not, but unfortunately my cell phone began acting up since the last time we spoke when you were in Las Vegas. And my little niece finished it off when she dropped it in the pool."

"That explains. How is your family, though? The troublemaker niece of yours—Rebecca, right?" I start laughing at the memory of that young girl and her bubbly personality.

I once had the pleasure of spending an entire day with her sister's family. They're as nice as she is.

"They are all fine. She actually asks for you many times; thanks to that doll you bought her. And it's apparently named Kira."

I cackle. Liam steals a glance at me. A small smile appears at the corners of his mouth before he returns his attention back to Jonathan. I'm flushed, deep crimson, with too many reasons responsible for it.

"Well, the universe wanted me to be here by any means." Amelia cracks a lobster on her plate, the same choice of food as Sam's. "My sister got a call yesterday, and surprisingly someone wanted to talk to me. He introduced himself as Kira's fiancé . . . and apparently, you're the only Kira I know." She smiles up at me.

Liam Darcy! I sip my red wine that tastes sweet and a little spicy, a big grin on my face.

"So, he personally called you?" Indeed, he's surpassed my expectations.

"Yeah. And I didn't know the wedding would be so soon, honestly. I wasn't even prepared when he gave me the news." Saying this, Amelia takes a sip of her champagne. "But I managed to be here and I'm so happy. Unfortunately I have to go back to L.A tomorrow." Her face fluctuates into faint sadness.

"It's alright, Amelia. What's important is that you're here. Thank you so much," I tell her.

"No. You should thank your husband," Amelia remarks. "He insisted that I should be here even for a day. He got me a two-way ticket—first class—can you imagine? I travelled like a VIP for the first time in my life?" She chuckles and I mirror her gesture instantly.