Four

Eleanor prepares a delicious dinner later in the evening. She looks happier having the house full, especially with her son's presence. All of us, ladies, are in the kitchen with her, including Roshni. My curiosity toward this woman is inexplicable.

"So, where are you from, Roshni?" Eleanor asks.

Thank God.

Roshni is seated next to Samantha, who's frowning at her cellphone.

"Um, I lived in Australia for almost my entire life," Roshni answers, and this explains a bit of her accent.

"Are you Saudi Arabian like Malik?" Sam follows, abandoning her cellphone at last.

"Not really," Roshni says, playing with the long braid of her dark, silky hair. "I'm Indian-Arab."

Oh wow! I'm intrigued.

"Roshni means Lightness in Persian . . . or Hindi?" I ask while chopping the vegetables on the countertop, helping Eleanor in preparing the chicken biryani.

And I'm so eager for tonight, my mind is hardly away from Liam. The mere thought of having him to myself turns my cheeks scarlet. I missed him.

"Yeah," Roshni answers. "How do you know that?" She sounds surprised..

"Yeah, how do you know that?" Eleanor looks at me.

I smile at them. "I'm a bit of a curious learner, that's all. I think I read it in some book. I can't clearly remember, but it was something like the Arabian Nights?"

"Yeah, Kiki learns anything and everything," Sam remarks. Everyone laughs. "So you're friends with Malik?" she asks Roshni, and all eyes stare at the half-Indian.

"Um—" Roshni stammers, seemingly uncomfortable speaking of her acquaintance with Malik. Woah! "Excuse me; I need to use the bathroom. Where is it?" She rises up abruptly.

"Betty, can you please lead the lady to the bathroom?" Eleanor asks her house helper, who's just stepped in carrying some fresh milk from the stables, together with Julian, the stable boy.

When Roshni leaves, the rest of us eye each other with a knowing glance. Although none of us comments on the matter, it's very obvious that we've made our guest uncomfortable for some unknown reason.

"Well, I guess there's more to our dear Malik and his little Lightness," Sam mumbles, taking her phone once again.

"Sam!" I can't help but laugh, and so does Eleanor.

"Let's not talk about it again . . . okay, girls?" Eleanor tells us, and we nod.

During dinner everyone looks delighted. Eleanor's cooking is forever the best, apparently, and the person who requested the dish seems even more ecstatic as he grabs his plate right away.

"Malik, I wonder if they fed you in Saudi Arabia," I tease him as I take my seat next to Liam.

"Professor, wait until you try this and you'll understand why I'm in such a hurry," Malik returns playfully. "Aunt, you're the best!" He thumbs up, making Eleanor smile sheepishly.

"Okay, guys, enjoy your meal," Eleanor states happily.

I glance at Liam and my insides unfurl. God, I can't wait to be alone with him. He's eating slowly, a smile on his face.

"Oh boy! I've never eaten this before, but damn!" Sam comments on the food, the rice colorful and inviting, and the chicken well roasted with succulent sauce.

"Do you like it?" Eleanor grins at her.

"I love it!" Sam answers happily, taking the drumstick towards her mouth.