Thirty-one

My suitcase and Liam's are ready to move. I inhale soundly, hands on my waist, as I watch everything I've arranged for our trip. As much as I'm extremely excited to embark on this journey as a happily married woman, the idea of leaving my previous life behind scares me to the core. 

I expect several changes, that's for sure. And perhaps I won't like all of them, but accepting them is certainly inevitable. Moving countries, departing from the only person I consider a family, and embracing new responsibilities as a mature adult are surely not a child's play. 

"But It will be fine, Kira," I breathe, and at the same time the unlocked door swings open after two soft knocks. 

"Are you done packing?" Eleanor pokes her head. I bob mine with a grin. "I hope you haven't forgotten anything," she jokes, a tiny smile on her natural face that looks as glowing as always—even without her makeup on. 

"No, I think I've cleared the list. Come in." I drop on the bed, sitting down lazily. 

A minute later, Eleanor occupies the couch, sitting cross-legged. I feel like she has something important to say, hence I sit straight with a full, undivided attention. 

"I just want to tell you that I'm happy you're officially a part of my family, Kira," Eleanor says. "I understand you may be afraid right now. God knows how scared I was when Charlie asked me to move with him to England, the place I only heard about until that moment."

I smile nervously. "How did you cope?" My question is probably weird, but I'd really love to know. 

"I really don't know," Eleanor replies, a tiny smile on her face. "With Charlie, I didn't even notice how days went on, because he made it quite easy for me to adjust. Although it was tough, given that his parents weren't really in favor of our marriage, they were still the best days of my life."

"Oh, that's sad. I'm sorry." I can feel her sadness as she talks of her past. 

I can't imagine the pain of losing someone you love. And may God forbid it, because I'd rather die first before my husband leaves me for good. I think I'll go crazy.

"But Liam is so much like his father. Oh, sometimes I forget that they're not blood related," Eleanor says with so much joy, eyes gleaming with fondness. But the profound sadness is easily detected from the sigh she now takes. "I know he'll take good care of you, Kira. And I'm asking you to do the same. He's the only thing I'm living for. His happiness is my happiness, and it's all that I'm wishing for in this world."

I don't realize the waterworks in my eyes until I sniff. Eleanor huffs a short laugh, wiping her drenched lashes. 

She gazes at me and adds, "Like I said before, you can consider me your mother, if you need one. A friend, too, if you have anything to talk about. I want both of you to be happy, so don't let anything . . . or anyone . . . get in between you two. Trust me, marriage won't always be a bed of roses and a rainbow in the sky—there will be bad days, lonely nights, and even cold mornings—but if you stick together, no problem will fail to have a solution in your lives." 

Oh God. I'm speechless. I stare at Eleanor for a good while, and I wonder if she's the mother I've been searching for. Indeed, she's more than that. 

"I understand," I say softly. 

"Oh dear, I think I've scared you, haven't I?" She sounds remorseful. 

I chuckle. "No, Eleanor. Not at all. You simply told me I should know, since you're experienced with this. Thank you," I say, meaning every word. 

"Okay let me get up and stop wasting your time." She stands up immediately, and together we laugh casually as I rise up from the bed. "Have fun on your honeymoon," she says tenderly.