Sixty-two

Soft breeze welcomes my smile as I lock my car door. I've been promenading around Central London for almost four hours, visiting places, taking pictures, and at last I managed to visit the British Museum. My afternoon has been eventful today, and it's much better than staying indoors.

Beneath the winter sky I find the day beautiful despite the odds in my life.

Being surrounded with nature has always been the best way in dealing with my demons as far as my stressful situations are concerned. Trees, grasses, birds, and people's laughter become a balm for the pangs of my disappointed heart.

Hyde's Park is enormous, like a large expanse of natural green with clean air and fresh breeze. I set my camera and take another shot of the small trail on which I've been walking through. It's a dusty foot walkway that's embedded by a set of trees on either side.

My stop is where several kids are playing merrily on the open ground. I take several pictures of them and stand aside for a while, watching them with a smile as they kick a ball in turns. My heart melts at the sight, a little jealous of their moms for having them.

Will I get the chance to bring my daughter or son to the park someday? I take a deep breath as I'd rather not dwell.

I find a wooden bench and take a seat. Frankly, I never thought there would be a time in my life that I would want, so badly, to become a mother. Not even once. But life surely is unpredictable, because now I do. I recline back and cross my legs comfortably, watching the kids.

There's something about children I hadn't noticed before. Taking my time looking at them right now, studying their every move, I see the special ability bestowed upon them to make the world a fascinating place. I feel mindless, happy even, hearing how they talk and interact.

"I'm not playing that. It's for little girls." A tiny voice shifts my attention, only to learn that I have a neighbor.

A young girl, about four or five, takes a seat next to me. She's pouting, her arms crossed on her chest. Fair skin, dusky brown hair, silky and wavy, and . . . blue eyes? I smile when I look at her, and I wonder how my little girl would look if she gets Liam's eyes.

Stop it, Kira! I shake my head and pull myself together.

"Hey there." I regard my little sulking neighbor.

"Hello," she replies sharply, and just like most of the people I meet here, her accent is charming. "Is that a camera?" Her eyes glow instantly.

"Mmm." I nod, looking at the camera on my lap. "Do you want to see it?"

"Can I?" she quips.

"Of course." I scoot closer to her and share the sight of my new camera—which is my gift from Liam.

The little girl seems infatuated, a bright grin painted constantly on her face. With pleasure, I show her how the camera works, and after a while I let her take a few pictures.

"Wow! This is so cool!" she squeals in glee, glancing up at me. "Look, has it come out good?" She shows me the image she's just captured.

"Oh, yes. You're a fast learner." I pat her curls.

"Yeah, but your pictures are so good," she replies and I just smile. "Did you take more?"

"Um . . . Yeah. I think I took so many pictures today," I reply while holding the camera in my hands, going through the recent folder. "Do you wanna see them?"

She nods fast. We sit even closer and go through the albums. We laugh from time to time and get immersed into the moment.

"The London bridge! So cool!" The little girl's eyes flash as she goes through the album of my recently taken pictures. "The mummy! Is this a museum?" She gazes up at me, seemingly fascinated by the Egyptian artifacts.